Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 16, p. 85.


Graphics file for this page
LACCADIVE ISLANDS 85:
of which Dokri is the head-quarters. The density, 194 persons per
square mile, largely exceeds the District average. The land revenue
and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to 2•4 lakhs. The soil, though lacking
facilities for irrigation, is more fertile than elsewhere. Rice is the chief
crop, the water supply being obtained from the Western Nâra canal;
but wheat of excellent quality and gram are grown on the lands
annually flooded by the Indus. Mango groves and gardens are more
numerous here than in the rest of the District.
. Labpur.-Village in the head-quarters subdivision of Birbhům Dis-
trict, Bengal, situated in 23° 49' N; and 87° 49' E., on the Sfri-Kâtwa
road, 7 miles east of Ahmadpur station on the East Indian Railway.
Population (1901), 75b. It contains, a temple of the goddess Phullarâ,
where there is a curious practice of feeding jackals. Labpur is
a pithasthin or sacred place, where the lips of the goddess Sat! are
said to have fallen.
Laccadive Islands (Laksha divi, the hundred thousand isles').-
A group of coral atolls lying off the Malabar coast in the Madras
Presidency, between 8° and 14° N. and 710 4o' and 74° _ E. The
nearest, Androth, is about 140 miles from the mainland. The five
northern islands, specifically known as the AMINDIVI ISLANDS, are
attached to the District of South Kanara. The remainder, sometimes
called the Cannanore Islands, belong to Malabar District. They
comprise Androth (population in 1891, 2,999; and in 1901, 2)441),
Kavaratti (2,021 and 1,959), Agatti (1,183 and 1,215), Kalpeni (1,236
and 1;562), and MINICOY (3,198 and 3,097), all of which are between
1' and 2 square miles in area, and also Suheli and Pitti, which are
uninhabited. There are eight other smaller dependent islets: Minicoy
lies loo miles south of the others and belongs ethnically and geo-
graphically to the Maldives, though politically it is attached to the
Laccadive group.
The conformation of all the islands is almost identical. They are
crescent-shaped banks, not more than 1o or 15 feet above sea-level,
lying along the eastern arc of an oval coral reef which stretches from
north to south for z to 6 miles in length by under a: mile in breadth..
The western arc of the reef is a line of coral rocks, visible only at low
water, with one' or more outlets to the open sea. Inside the reef is
a shallow lagoon, large enough to act as a harbour for the native craft,
and so sheltered by the reef that even in the worst weather coco-nut
fibre can be soaked in it without danger of being washed away. Out-
side is a gradually sloping bank of dead coral, which varies from
ioo yards to three-quarters of a mile in width, and ends abruptly in
a precipice, at which soundings drop suddenly from 20 fathoms to
over 200. It seems probable that these. atolls have been formed on
the summits of a mountain range, that they first rose to the surface in
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html