J3o,. LA KFISETIPET
,Rs. 69,ooo. Extensive rice cultivation is carried on with irrigation
from tanks and wells:
Lakhtar (Than-Lakhtar). - State in the Kathlawar Political
Agency, Bombay, lying between 22° 49' and 23° N. and 71° 46'
and 72° 3' E., with an area of 248 square miles. The population in
i 9o 1 was 15,114, residing in 51- villages. The revenue in 1903-4
amounted to Rs.70,250.
The State consists of two distinct portions, Than and Lakhtar,
together with some outlying villages in Ahmadabad District. There
are some rocky tracts, but neither rivers nor hills of any size. About .
•48 square miles were under cultivation in 1903-4; of which A. square
miles were irrigated. Cotton and the usual grains are grown. The
potters -(Botiers) of Than enjoy a wide reputation for the excel
lence of their work. Lakhtar ranks as a third-class State in Katbiawar.
The Lakhtar Mluka was granted by the Dhrangadhra State to Abhai-
singhji, son of Raj Sahib Chandrasinghji:of Halavad. He conquered
Than and the surrounding country from the Babrias in about t6o4-15.
The present chief is descended from this family. His title is Thakur
Laki.-Mountain range in the Kotri tdluka of Karachi District,
Sind, Bombay. See LAKHI.
Lakki.--Head-quarters of the Marwat tahsil, Bannu District, North-
West Frontier Province, situated in 32"36' N. and 70° 56',E. Popula• .
tion (1901), 5,218. In 1844 Fateh Khan Tiwana, the revenue collector
of the Sikh government, built and garrisoned a fort in the heart of
Marwat which he called Ihsanpur. . A town grew up under its walls
and became the capital of Marwat until 1864, when the site was
abandoned and the inhabitants removed to .Lakki on the right bank
,of the Gambila. The municipality was constituted in 1874. The
income during the ten years ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 5,2oo, and
the expenditure Rs. 5,300. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 5,500,
chiefly derived from octroi; and the expenditure was Rs. 5,1oo.. The
town has a dispensary and a vernacular middle school maintained by
Lakkundi.-Place of antiquarian interest in the Gadag #dluka
of Dharwar District, Bombay, situated in 1S° 23' N. and 75° 43' E.,
7 miles south-east of Gadag town. Pdpulation (1901), 4,454. It
contains fifty temples and thirty-five inscriptions. The temples are
ascribed to Jakhanficharya. They suffered severely in the Chola
invasion about 1070, but were afterwards rebuilt. The finest and
most remarkable is the temple of Kashivishveshwar. There ,are
numerous step-wells. Of the thirty-five -inscriptions, the earliest
deciphered is dated A.D. 868. In 1192 the Hoysala king Ball1la II,
>better .known -. as wira Ballala,_(1192-1211), established his capital at,