Lakkundi, then styled Lokkigundi, arid' in the vicinity met and
defeated the forces of the Deogiri Yadava Bhillam, commanded by
the latter's on Jaitugi. Lakkundi contains a school.
Laksham.-Village in the head-quarters subdivision of Tippera
District, Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated in z3° 15' N. and
91° 8' E. It is a railway junction, where the branch lines to
Chandpur and Noakhali leave the .main line of the Assam-Bengal
Lakshmantirtha.-Tributary of the Cauvery in Mysore. It
rises in Brahmagiri, on the southern frontier- of Coorg, and runs
north-east through the Hunsur tdluk of Mysore District into the
Cauvery, beyond Sagarkatte, at the common boundary of-the Mysore
and Yedatore tdluks, after a course of about 70 miles. It is a peren-
nial stream, with seven 'dams in Mysore, from which are drawn
channels 133 miles in length, irrigating nearly 8,ooo acres.
Lakshmeshwar.-Head-quarters of a subdivision of the same
name in the Miraj State, Bombay, situated in 15° 7' N. and 75° 31' E;,,
about 40 miles south-east of Dharwar. Population (igo1), ra,86o.
Weaving of cotton cloth is largely carried on. There are temples of
Someshwar and Lakshmiling about a thousand_ years old, . Jain bastis,
and a Musalman mosque about four hundred years old. In honour
of the god Someshwar a fair, attended by about 5,000 people, is held
yearly on the tenth of the bright half of Vaishakh (May-June). About
fifty inscriptions have been found - referring to the early dynasties
ruling in this part of the country. The town is administered as a
municipality with an income in 1903-4 of Rs. 7,300.
Lakshm pasa.-Village in the Naral subdivision of Jessore Dis-
trict, Bengal, situated in a3° 11' N. and 89° 39', E., on the right bank
of the Nabaganga river, where it joins the Bankana io miles east of
Naral. It is the home of a well-known colony of Kulin Brahmans;
they trace their origin to Ramananda Chakrabartti, who emigrated from
Sarmangal near Kaila in Backergunge, a great Kulin settlement.
Lakshmipur. -Village in the, head-quarters subdivision of Noa-
khali District, Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated in 22' 57' N. and
90° 51' E. Population (1901), 4,794. In 1756 a cloth factory was
established here by the East India Company. It is still a busy trade
Lakshmisarai.-Village and railway station in Monghyr District,
Bengal. See LuCKEESARAI.
Lakva111.-Village in the Tarikere tdluk of Kadfir District, Mysore,,
situated in 13° 42' N. and 75° 38' E., on the Bhadra river, 13 miles
from Tarikere railway station. Population (1901), 1,196. West of it
are vast forests on each side of the Bhadra, containing some of the
most valuable teak timber in the country. Close by is the site of