Ratnapuri, the ancient capital of Vajra Makuta Raya. Subsequently
included in the Humcha and Ganga territories, it afterwards formed
part of the Hoysala and Vijayanagar kingdoms. The chiefs of Tari-
kere acquired it later, but were forced to yield it to Bednar, the
conquest of which by Haidar Ali in 1763 led to the absorption of
the country into Mysore.
Lala Mfisa.--Junction of the Sind-Sagar branch of the North-
Western Railway with the main line, , situated in 32° 38' N. and
74° 1' E., in the Kharian tahsil of Gujrat District, Punjab. Popula-
tion (1901), 547•
Lalbagh Subdivision.-- Central subdivision of Murshidabad
District, Bengal, lying between 24° 6' and 2'4° 23' N. and 87° 59'
and $81 $o' E., with an area of 370 square miles. The subdivision
is divided almost equally by the BhAgirathi, flowing from north to
south ; the eastern portion is an alluvial flat, while the western portion
is high and undulating. The population in 19or was 192,978, com-
pared with 181,726 in 1891, the density being 522 persons per square
mile.. It contains two towns--MURSHIDABAD (population, 15,168) and
AZIMGANJ (13,385)-and 632.villages.
Lalbagh Town.-Official name for the town of MURSHIDABAD,
Murshidabad District, Bengal; the head-quarters of the Lalbagh sub-
Lalgai~.-Town in the Hajipur subdivision of Muzaffarpur District,
Bengal,. situated in 25° 52' N. and 85° 1o' E., on the east bank of the
Gandak, 12 miles north-west of Hajipur town. Population (190r),
11,502. Lalganj is an important river mart, the principal exports
being hides, oilseeds, and saltpetre, and the imports food-grains (chiefly
rice), salt, and piece-goods. The bazar lies on the low land adjoining
the river, but is. protected from inundation by the Gandak embarik-
ments. The shipping ghat lies a mile to the south of the town,
which is connected by road with Sahibganj, Muzaffarpur, and Hajipur.
Lalganj was constituted a municipality in 1869. The income during
the decade ending z9o1-2 averaged Rs. 5,6oo, and the expenditure
Rs. 4,700: In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 6,500, mainly from a tax
on houses and lands; and the expenditure was Rs. 6,ooo.
Lalgarh.-Thakurdt in the MALwl AGENCY, Central India.
Laling.-Ruined hill fort in West Khandesh District, Bombay,
situated in 20° 49' N. and 74° 45' E., 6 miles south of Dhulia. The
fact that this, and not Thalner, was granted to his eldest son, would
seem to show that Laling was the chief' fort of Malik Raja (1370-g9),
the first of the Faruki kings; and here in 1437 Nasir Khan and his son
Miran Adil Khan were besieged by the Bahmani general till relieved
by the advance of an army from Gujarat. Early in the seventeenth
century (1629-31) the fort is more than once mentioned in connexion