141 LIRKINA DISTRICT
products, and the imports being English piece-goods, silks, and fruits.
Larkana town.is one of the chief grain marts of :Sired.
The North-Western Railway runs through the District from Nao-
dero in the Rato-dero tdluka to Sehwan: here are, numerous ferries
on the. Indus and the Western Nara. The total length of roads
is. 1,440 miles, of which only 3 miles are metalled. The most
frequented roads are covered with dry grass, in order to lay the dust
and preserve the surface. The main road runs from Larkana to
Shikarpur and southwards through Mehar to Sehwan.
The tdlukas are for administrative purposes grouped into three sub-
divisions, of which two are in charge of Assistant Collectors and one in
charge of a Deputy-Collector. The subdivisions are
Administration. Larkana, comprising the LARK ANA, RAZO-DERo, LAB-
DARYA, and KAMBAR tdlukas; Mehar, comprising KAKAR, MEHAR, and
NASIRABKD; and Sehwan, comprising SEHWAN, J6Hi, and D,~DV.
The District is within the jurisdiction of the District and Sessions
Judge of Sukkur. There are four Subordinate judges, whose jurisdic-
tion is confined to civil matters and extends to the same class of
suits as are tried by the Subordinate judges in the rest of the
Presidency. Besides the criminal courts of the head munshis,
mukhtydrkdrs, and subdivisional officers, three resident magistrates
sit at Larkana, Mehar, and Dadu. Cattle-theft is prevalent; and
wherever Baloch tribes are settled, blood-feuds are not uncommon.
The Sind Frontier Regulations are applied to the Rato-dero, Kambar,
Mehar, Kakar, Johi, and Sehwan tdlukas.
Before the conquest of Sind by the British in 1843, the .northern
portion of the District was known as the Chandko pargana, and the
ownership of the entire lands in each village seems then to have been
vested in the zaminddrs or headmen and their heirs. They cultivated
a portion themselves, leasing the rest to hereditary occupants, who
paid ldpo or rent to the zaminddr, generally in kind, at s4 many kdsas x
per blgha. A fee, known as wdjdh zamindari, was also claimed by
the headman, and levied on the produce. When land was sold, the
purchaser became, entitled to the ldpo, but the wdjdh was still given
to the headman. The zami,nddr alone dealt with government or the
revenue contractor, and made. his own collections, from the tenants;
The prevailing tenure is still zamiaaddri, about 419 square miles of the
whole area being held in jdgir or revenue free. The first settlement
of the Larkana subdivision was made by Major Goldney in 1847.
It was for seven years, and expired in 1853-4. In 1833-6 the rates
. in the Larkana and Kambar tdlukas were reduced, and a separate
assessment fixed on cultivation by wheel or well. The topographical
survey commenced in 1839, and the new settlement was introduced
i A kdsa is a dry measure equal to about one-third of a maund.