LA URIYJ NAIVDANGAR.H r55
Goridal-Junagarh-Porbandar Railway. Population (1901) 5;997• It
contains a dispensary and is well supplied with public offices.
Lfar.-Town in the Owsa taluk of Osmanabad District, Hyderabad
State, situated in 18° 25' N. and 76'35' E. -Population (1901), 10,479:
Later is a great centre.of the cotton and grain trade in communication,
with Barsi 'railway station, 64 miles distant. It has three ginning.
factories, a British sub-post office,` and a State post office, as well as a
vernacular school and a travellers°'bungalow.
Launglon.=Western township of Tavoy District, Lower Burma,:
lying between r3° 31' and 14° 13' N. and 98° 5' and ,98°-14' E., with
an area of 355 square miles. It consists of a narrow strip of country,:
covered with low hills running north and-south between the sea and
the lower reaches of the Tavoy river. The population was 27,209 in
09r, and 33,187 in 190 1, distributed over 112 'villages. The density
in the latter year was 99 persons per square mile. The population"
is almost wholly Burman. The head-quarters are at Launglon, a village
Of 1,461 inhabitants,'situated about 8 miles south-west of Tavoy town.
Maungmagan, a village on the coast north-west of Tavoy, is resorted
to for sea-bathing by the 'residents. It has a fine sandy beach and
picturesque surroundings. The area cultivated in 1903--4 was 70 square
miles, paying Rs. 88,oooaand-revenue.
' Laura=The name' of an old- Hindu kingdom, which at one time'
occupied the north-western portion of what is now the District of
Sylhet,,Eastern Bengal and Assam. Gor or Sylhet proper was con-
quered by the Muhammadans in';A. n: 1384, but Laur retained its,
independence for another two hundred' years One of the Rajas; -
named Gobind, was summoned to Delhi and, there embraced the
Muhammadan faith; and his grandson, Abid- Reza, abandoned Laur,
and built the town of BANIYACHuNG at the beginning of the eighteenth'
century. Under the Mughal ', empire 'the Rajas of Laur were held
responsible for "the defence. 'of the frontier, and their estates were,
not actually assessed to revenue - till; the middle of the. eighteenth'
century. In -1765 Laur came under. the civil administration of th:e
British, with the rest of Bengal.
-' Lauriya Na ndangarh -Village in the Bettiah subdivision of
Champaran District, Bengal, situated in'26° 59'"N. and 84' 251 E:'
Population (1901),` 2,062, The- village .'contains three' rows of huge
conical mounds,. which General Cunningham' believed -to be the tombs
of early kings, belonging to a period antecedent to the rise of Buddhism.
Near, these mounds stands" a lion pillar inscribed with the diets 4of
Asoka. It' is a 'single block of polished sandstone, 3s feet 9 inches
high, the diameter tapering frorli 35•5 inches at the base to i6•a inches
At the top: The capital supports''a statue of a lion facing the north
the circular abacus is ornamented with a-row of Brahmani geese. Tho
"VOL. XVI. ; L ,,