156 LAURIYJ NA .DANGARFl
pillar is now worshipped -as a linga, and is commonly known as Bh m
Singh's 19th or club.
Uwa.-Estate or thâhurat in Rajputana. Though its area is but
ig square miles, it is important from the fact of its being a separate'
chiefship under the protection of the British Government and inde
pendent of any Native State. It lies between 260 W and 2,60 25' N.
and 750 31' and 75° 36' E., being surrounded by Jaipur territory on
all sides except the east, where it borders on Tank; it. is about 45 miles
south-west of Jaipur city and zo miles north-west of Tonk city.
The lands comprising the estate' formerly belonged to Jaipur, and
in 1772 were granted in jdgir to Nahar Singh, a member of the ruling
family. Subsequently Lâwa and other Jaipur territory in its vicinity
fell under the domination of the Marathâs, `represented 'by the Pindari
leader Amir Khan, and in 1817 became part of the State of Tonk then
founded. For many years there was constant fighting; arising from
the desire of the Tonk Darbar to reduce the sturdy Thakurs of Lawa,
to greater submission than they had been accustomed to yield; and in,;
1865 a force dispatched from Tonk unsuccessfully laid siege to Lawa,
losing 300 men in killed and wounded. The Nawab of Tonk, Muham-
mad Ali Khan, continued to harass his feudatory, and affairs reached
a climax when the Thakur's uncle and his fourteen followers were
treacherously murdered at Tonk in 1867. It was fully proved that
this crime was perpetrated with the knowledge, and at the instigation,
of the Tonk chief; and a proclamation issued to the people by order .
of the Governor-General announced the deposition of the Nawab and
the succession of his son. ' Lawa,' it went onto say, 'will now become
a, separate chiefship, and - will so remain for ever under the protection.
of the British Government.' In 1868 Lâwa was placed under the
political supervision of the Resident at Jaipur. The tribute of Rs. 3,©0o
(local currency), formerly paid to Tonk, became payable to the. British
Government; but the latter, in consequence of the indebtedness of
the estate, held its claim in abeyance till 1883, when the tribute was;,.
reduced to the nominal sum of RS. 225 a year.; In r87g the Thâkur
agreed to suppress the manufacture of :salt, arid, to abolish all taxes and
transit duties on every article except, gdnja,, spirits, opium, or other
intoxicating drugs; as compensation for these concessions, he, receives
from Government annually Rs. loo and ro maunds of salt.
The Thakurs of Lâwa belong to the Naruka sept of the Kachwaba
Ràj:puts. The present Thakur, Mangal Singh, was born in 1873, and
succeeded to the estate in May, 189:2, He is a Rao Bal adur, and
holds,the title of Raja as a personal distinction.
The population of the estate, which consists of one large village
and five attached hamlets; was 2,682 in 1881, 3,360 in z8gr, and
2;,671 in i9or;_ the decrease since x-9-9i was mainly due to the famine