186 LORALl4I. TOWN
Pishin-Derv Ghazi Khan roads, about 55 miles from Harnai railway
station. The climate is moderate, but high winds frequently prevail''.
It was selected and occupied as a military station in 1886. The
population (rgoi) numbers 3,561, 'including a regiment of native
cavalry and one of native infantry. Conservancy is provided for
by a bazar fund, the income of which in 1903-4 was Rs. ro,goo
and the expenditure Rs. 13,8oo. In the same year the income of the
cantonment fund, which receives one-third of the net revenue from
the' octroi levied for the bazar fund, amounted to Rs. 10,900. In
lgoi a piped water-supply Of 75,000 gallons per diem Was provided,
at a total cost of about il lakhs of rupees.
Lower Chindwin District.-See CHINDWIN DISTRICT, LOWER.
Lower Jhelum Canal.-See JHELUM CANAL, LOWER.
Lower Sutlej 'Inundation Canals.-See SUTLEJ INUNDATION
CANALS, LOWER. '
Luckeesarai (Lakshmisarai).-Village in the head-quarters sub-
division of Monghyr District, Bengal, situated in 25° 11' N. and
86° 6' E., on the west bank of the Kiul river. Population (rg01), `
6,rgg. A broad handsome railway bridge here crosses he Kiul
river, -and Kiul station on its east bank forms the junction of the
chord-line of the East Indian Railway with- the loop-line and with
the South Bihar Railway. Numerous sculptures found at the -neigh-
bouring village of Rajaona have been removed to the Indian` Museum;
the remains of a stupa still exist.
Lucknow Division (Lakhnau). -Western Division of Oudh,
United Provinces, lying between 25° 49' and 28° 42' N. and 79' 4-1'
and 81°.34' E., with an area of 12,651 square miles: ' It extends from
the damp submontane tract on the ' borders of NepIDF to the thickly
populated area of Southern Oudh. - The Division lies entirely between
the Ganges on the south-west 'and the Gogra on the north-east. The
head-quarters of the Commissioner are at LuCKNOW CITY.' Popu
lation is increasing steadily. The numbers at the four 'enumerations
were as follows: (1869) 5,315,583, (1881) 5,325,6oi, (18g1) 5,856,559,'
(1901) 5,977,686. The Census of 1869 probably overstated the truth;
The density, 496 persons per square mile, is 'higher than' the Pro
vincial average. The Division stands fourth in the United Provinces
in respect of area and also in respect of population. Hindus formed
87 per cent. of the total in I9or, and Musalmans nearly 13 pe`r cent.
There were 9,237 Christians, of whom 2,.150 were natives. The Divi-
Sion includes six Districts, as shown in the table on the next page.
Kheri, which is the most northern District, includes a considerable
area of forest land. The remaining Districts resemble 'those of the
Gangetic plain generally. Hardoi, Unao, and, Rae Bareli lie 'north-
east of the Ganges; Sitapur is bounded on the north-east by the