230 MADDAGIRID URGA
granaries and storehouses, formed out of caverns or excavated in
Maddfir.=Town in the Mandya idluh of Mysore District, Mysore,
situated in 12° 35' N. and 77° 3' E., on the Mysore State Railway,
near the right bank of the Shimsha. Population (1901), 2,597. The
name is properly Marudur: Under the Gangas it was included in
Chikka Gangavadi, and in the eleventh century was under the Cholas.
Early in the twelfth century the Hoysala king Vishnuvardhana granted
it to the Srivaishnava Brahmans as a agrahdra. He also made the
Maddur tank, and built the Varadaraja temple. The fort was taken
by Mysore in 1617, and was rebuilt by Haidar, but dismantled in
1791 by Lord Cornwall is in his march on Seringapatam. The fine
bridge over the Shimsha was completed in 1850, and since 1882 has
been used for the railway as well as the road. The municipality dates
from 1884, but was converted into a Union in 1904. The.receipts
and expenditure during the ten years ending 1901 averaged Rs. 6.90
and Rs. 8oo. In 1903-4 they were Rs. 8go and Rs. 1,200.
Madgiri-Tdluh of Tumkur District, Mysore. See MADDAGIRL
Madgiridrfig.--Hill in Tumkfir District, Mysore. See MADDA-
Madha Taluli;a.-Tdluka of Sholapur District, Bombay, lying
between 17° 38' and 18' 1o' N. and 75° 9' and 75° 42' E., with an
area of 619 square miles. It contains 89 villages, including MnDHA
(population, 5,365), the , head-quarters. The population in 1901 was
82,984, compared with !92,664 in 1891. The density, 134 persons
per square mile, is slightly below the District average. The demand
for land revenue in 1903-4 was 1g' lakhs, and for cesses Rs. 1o,ooo.
Madha is an undulating plain, irregular in shape; the tops of all the
higher ridges, though covered with yellow stunted grass,' are bare of
trees, and have_ a barren soil. The watershed crosses the taluka in the
direction of its greatest length from north-west to south-east; and the
streams flow eastward into the Sina and southward into the Bhima.
Excluding the Ashti lake, situated about r5 miles south-west of
Madha town, the land is chiefly watered from, wells. The climate
is dry, and hot winds prevail from March to May. The rainfall is
Madha Village.-Head-quarters of the tdluka of the same name in
Sholapur District; Bombay, situated in r8° 2' N. and 75° 31' E., on,
the south-east line of thel Great Indian Peninsula Railway. Population
(1901)+ 5,365. The town has a fort, a weekly market on Tuesday, and
an annual fair in September-October.' The fort is now used as artdluko.
office. Madha contains a Subordinate judge's court, and three schools,
one of which is maintained by the American Mission.
MadhAn.--A fief of the Keonthal State, Punjab, lying between