Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 17, p. 26.


Graphics file for this page
MAHSÜDS
strict blockade. This resulted in the submission of the Mahsüds in
19or, when a complete redistribution of allowances was made. The
tribe has since restrained its young men from raiding ; but fanatical
murders by Mahsads, which were previously unknown, have given
them an unenviable notoriety.
Mahudha.-Town in the Nadidd tdluka of Kaira District, Bombay,
situated in 22° 49' N. and 72° 56' E. Population (rgoi), 8,544
Mahudha is said to have been founded by a Hindu prince named
Mdndhdta about two thousand years ago. The municipality was
established in 1889, the average income during the decade ending rgoi
being Rs. 8,ooo. In r903-4 the income was Rs. 8,300. The town
contains a dispensary and four schools (three, including an English
school, for boys and one for girls), attended by 377 male and 70
female pupils respectively.
Mâhudi.-Hill in the head-quarters subdivision of Hazâribagh
District, Bengal, situated in 24° 12' N. and 85° 12' E., about .8 miles
from the southern face of the Hazaribagh plateau. The hill is 2,437
feet above the sea, falling steeply on every side for Boo feet. Four
rock-cut temples are situated on the summit.
Mahul.-North-western tahsil of Azaingarh District, United Pro-
vinces, comprising the _parganas of Mahul, Kaurid, and Atraulid, and
lying between 25° 48' and 26° 27' N. and 82° 4o' and 83° 7' E., with
an area of 436 square miles. Population fell from 344,723 in 1891 to
312,234 in 19o1. There are 947 villages and two towns, but neither
of them has a population of over 5,000. The demand for land revenue
in 1903-4 was Rs. 3,63,ooo, and for cesses Rs. 58,ooo. The density
of population, 716 persons per square mile, is about the District
average. The tahsil is divided into two portions by the Kunwar Nadi.
North of this river the soil is a light loam varying to sand, while the
southern part is chiefly clay and is intersected by swamps and small
channels. The largest river is the Tons. The area under cultivation
in 1898-9 was 251 square miles, of which 149 were irrigated. Wells
supply more than half the irrigated area, and tanks, swamps, and small
streams the remainder.
Mahuva-Town and port in the State of Bhaunagar, Kathiàwdr,
Bombay, situated in 21° 5' N. and 71° 4o' E. Population (19o1),
17,549. The fort is 2 miles from the mouth of the bay, the east side
of which is formed by an island known on this side as Jegri or Jigi
Bluff, with a 2 fathoms shoal extending for nearly a mile. North of
this shoal the water is deep. The town is 2 miles to the north of the
port and is a large place, having several buildings and a temple. Good
water may be had at a well on Jegri island. In the neighbourhood
is a large swamp extending for several miles to the north-east. The
islands that front this swamp are about 6o feet high and form a
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html