Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 17, p. 43.


Graphics file for this page
MAKHU
43
averaged Rs. 3,700, and the expenditure Rs. 3,000. In 1903-4 the
income was Rs. 4,8oo, chiefly from octroi ; and the expenditure was
Rs. 4,700. Some carpets are manufactured, but the town is not of
any commercial importance. There is an Anglo-vernacular middle
school and a dispensary.
Mâjuli.-Island (or char) in the north of Sibsâgar District, Assam,
lying between 26° 45' and 27° 12' N. and 93° 39' and 94° 35' E.,
formed by the diversion of the Kherkutiâ channel from the main
stream of the Brahmaputra. This channel subsequently receives the
waters of the Subansin, in itself a large river, and is then known as
the Luhit to the point where it rejoins the parent stream opposite the
mouth of the Dhansiri. The island has an area of 485 square miles,
with a population (rgoi) of 35,ooo, and is the site of the AUNIATI,
DAI{HINPAT, GARAMUR, and other sattras, or priestly colleges, which
are held in great reverence by the Assamese. The Majuli is much
exposed to flood and diluvium, and the staple crops are summer rice
and mustard. It contains numerous streams, lakes, and patches of
tree forest covered with beautiful cane brake, and the general effect is
very picturesque. The island has but one road and no town, and an
old-world air pervades the place which savours more of the eighteenth
than the twentieth century.
Makanpur.-Village in the tahsil of Bilhaur, Cawnpore District,
United Provinces, situated in 26° 54' N. and 79° 59' E., 40 miles
north-west of Cawnpore city. The shrine of a Musalmân saint, named
Shâh Madâr, who had originally been a Jew, attracts a large number
of pilgrims annually, both Musalmân and Hindu, the latter regarding
the saint as an incarnation of the god Lakshmana. In addition to the
religious attractions of the fair, a large cattle-market is held, at which
15,000 to zo,ooo animals of all kinds are offered for sale.
Makhtal.-T2luk in MahbCibnagar District, Hyderabad State, with
an area of 511 square miles. The population in i9o1, including I'VIrs,
was 69,560, compared with 68,031 in 1891. The taluk contains
120 villages, of which 13 are jagir, and Makhtal (population, 4,476)
is the head-quarters. The land revenue in 19oi amounted to 1•8 lakhs.
In .1905 the tiluk was enlarged by the addition of some villages from
Nârâyanpet, but lost 31 villages to Yâdgir in Gulbarga. The town of
Nârâyanpet is now included in this tâluk, which forms the borderland
between the Carnatic and the Telingana country.
Makhu.-Town in the Zira tahsil of Ferozepore District, Punjab,
situated in 3r° 6' N. and 75° 4' E., 30 miles north-east of Ferozepore
town. Population (1900, 1,355. The municipality was created in
1867. The income during the ten years ending 1902-3 averaged
Rs. 1,roo, and the expenditure Rs. 1,ooo. In 1903-4 the income wais
Rs. 1,500, chiefly from octroi ; and the expenditure was RS. 1,000.
VOL. XVII. D
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 22:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html