14.8 MANT),47-4 Y CITY
to pay a fee. In the business quarter, however, a tax has been sanc
tioned. The water-supply is from the moat and river, and from wells.
A scheme for sinking new wells at a cost of 31, lakhs is under con-
sideration. The average death-rate during the five years ending 1903-4
was 38-2, and the birth-rate 4072 per i,ooo. The hospital, which was
built in 189x, had 2,482 in-patients in 1903-4, and medicines were
dispensed in over 17,000 cases. In addition to the hospital, there
is a dispensary near the 7,egyo bazar, at which a somewhat larger
number of cases were attended to.
The cantonment fund is chiefly maintained by grants-in-aid from the
Government and the municipality, amounting in 1903-4 to Rs. 54,000.
These are supplemented by house, conservancy, and other taxes, yield-
ing in all about Rs. 16,ooo, a sum of Rs. 7,000 from market dues, and
other collections amounting to about Rs. 4,ooo. The chief items of:
expenditure are conservancy (Rs. 3T,o0o), police (Rs. 17,ooo), and
hospital (Rs. 8,ooo). There are 26 miles of metalled roads within
cantonment limits, maintained from Imperial funds. The Upper Burma
Volunteer Rifles, 560 strong, have their head-quarters at Mandalay.
Statistics regarding the educational institutions of the city (vernacular
and Anglo-vernacular) are given in the District article. Of Anglo-
Education vernacular schools, there are eight secondary and
. three primary. Of these, the principal are St. Peter's
high school and St. Joseph's (Roman Catholic), the American Baptist
Mission high and European schools, the Royal school of the Society
for the Propagation of the Gospel, and the high school of the Euro-
pean Wesleyan Mission. Special schools include a survey school and
a normal school for teachers.
Mandalay Canal.-An irrigation canal in Mandalay District,
Upper Burma, running north and south, parallel to the Irrawaddy,
and watering a level plain - in the centre of the District, which is
bounded on the north by the Madaya stream, on the south by the
Myitnge river, on the east by the Shan Hills, and on the west by the
Irrawaddy. The canal, which derives its water from the Madaya
stream, is 39 miles in length, has 86 miles of distributaries, and is
capable of irrigating 8o,ooo acres of land. It was commenced in
1896 and was opened in 1902, its cost having been nearly 5r lakhs.
It irrigated 3o,ooo acres in 1903--4. It waters much the same country
as a canal dug for irrigation during Burmese rule, which, owing to
faulty alignment and the inability of the Burmans to deal with the
cross-drainage from the Shan Hills in the east, failed of its object.
The revenue derived from the work in 1903-4 was nearly a lakh.-
Mā.ndalgarh.-Read-quarters of a zila or district of the same
name in the State of Udaipur, Rdjputāna, situated in 25° T3' N.
and 75° 7' E., about Too miles north-east of Udaipur city. Popu-