152 AIÂNDHf1 TA
Mândhata.-Village in the Khandwâ lahsil of Nimdr District,
Central Provinces, situated in 22° r5' N. and 76° 9' E., 32 wiles from
Khandwâ and 7 miles east of Mortakkd station on the Râjputana-
Mâlwâ Railway. Population (1900, 832. It stands on the Narbadd
river and is a well-known Hindu place of pilgrimage, as it contains one
of the twelve celebrated linganis of Siva. The village of Mândhata is
built partly upon the south bank of the Narbadâ and partly upon an
island in the river, and is exceedingly picturesque with rows of houses,
temples, and shops, and the Rao's palace conspicuous above the rest,
standing on terraces scarped out of the sides of a hill on the island.
Between the island and the southern bank the Narbadâ forms a deep
pool, which is full of large tame fish. Upon the summit of the hill are
signs of a once flourishing settlement, in the shape of ruined fortifica-
tions and temples. The most interesting is the temple of Siddhanâth.
It stands on a raised platform, whose plinth is supported by elephants
in various positions. The temple of Onkar on the island is a com-
paratively modern structure, but the great columns supporting it have
been taken from some older building. On the north bank of the river
are some Vaishnava and Jain temples. The Rao of Mandhata, the
hereditary custodian of all the modern temples, is a Bhilâla, claiming
descent from a Chauhân Rdjput who is said to have taken Mândhata
from a Bhil chief in r 165. A large fair is held annually in October,
at which in former times devotees of Bhairon threw themselves from
the cliffs and were dashed to pieces on the rocks in the river. The
last sacrifice of this kind was witnessed by a British officer in 1824.
It is the practice at the fair to present horses as offerings at the shrine
of Siva; and as the frugal worshippers are inclined to consider that any
horse will pass muster for an offering as long as it is alive, it has come
to be a proverb, when describing an absolutely worthless' horse, to say
that it is good enough to be offered at the shrine of Mândhata.
Mandl State.-Native State in the Punjab, under the political
control of the Commissioner, J'ullundur Division, lying between 31° 23'
and 32° q.' N. and 76° 40' and 77° 22' E., in the upper reaches of the
Beds. It is bordered on the north by Chhotâ Bangâhal; on 'the east
by the Nargu range, which divides it from the Kuh1 valley, 'and by
the Beds, Tirthan, and Bisna streams ; on the south it adjoins Suket,
and on the west Kângra District. It is 54 miles long and 33 broad,
with an area of 1,200 square miles of mountainous country. The
Beds enters at the middle of its eastern border, and
aspects leaves it near the north-west corner, thus dividing it
into two parts, of which the northern is the smaller.
This is trisected by two parallel ranges, of which the higher and
eastern, the Ghoghar-ki-Dhdr, is continued south of the Befits and
extends into the south-west of the State. The south-eastern corner,