Maner.--Village in the Dinapore subdivision of Patna District,
Bengal, situated in 25° 38' N. and 84° 53' E., a few miles below the
junction of the Son with the Ganges, 1o miles from Dinapore canton-
ment and 5 miles from Bihta station on the East Indian Railway.
Population (1901), 2,765. Maner is a very old place, being mentioned
in the Ain-i-Akbari. The chief antiquities are the tombs of Makhdfim
Yahia Maner and Makhd%m Shah Daulat. The latter, which was built
in 1616, stands on a raised platform, and at each corner rises a slender
pillar of graceful proportions and exquisite beauty. It has a great
dome, and the ceiling is covered with delicately carved texts from the
Koran. Two annual fairs are held at Maner.
Mangal.-One of the Simla Hill States, Punjab, lying between
31° 18' and 31° 22' N. and 76° 55' and 77° 1' E., with an area of
12 square miles. Population (1901), 1,227. The chiefs are Rajputs
of the Atri tribe, and the family originally came from Marwar. The
State was an ancient dependency of Bilaspur, but was declared inde-
pendent after the expulsion of the Gurkhas in 1815. Its principal
products are grain and opium, and it has a revenue of Rs. goo, out
of which Rs. 72 is paid as tribute. The present chief, Rana Tilok
Singh, was born in 1851, and succeeded in 1892.
Mangalagiri (` Hill of happiness').-Town in the District and taluk
of Guntūr, Madras, situated in 16° 26' N. and 80 34' E. Population
(1901), 7,702. Some distance up the hill after which it is named is
a rock-cut platform with a temple of Narasimhaswami, to which thou-
sands of Hindus flock during the annual festival held at the full moon
in March. In the town is a large deep reservoir, built square with stone
steps. Local legends used to say that it was unfathomable, and had
a golden temple at the bottom ; but in the great famine of 1833 it dried
up. In it were found nearly 1o,ooo old matchlocks, thrown there,
doubtless, during one of the many wars which have swept over this
part of the country.
Mangaldal. - Subdivision of Darrang District, Eastern Bengal
and Assam, lying between 26' 12'and 26' 56' N. and 91° 42' and 92'
27' E., with an area of 1,245 square miles. It consists of a compact
block of land lying between the Brahmaputra and the Himalayas.
Between 1891 and 19or the population fell from 187,950 to 170,580,
while in the previous decade there had been hardly any increase. This
lack of progress is chiefly due to kalā czar, the malarial fever which has
wrought such havoc in Lower and Central Assam. The marshes that
fringe the Brahmaputra are fit only for the cultivation of mustard and
summer rice, but the central portion of Mangaldai is closely populated,
and the subdivision supports 137 persons per square mile, as compared
with 77 in the neighbouring subdivision of Tezpur. In 1904 there
were in Mangaldai 26 tea gardens with 10,940 acres under plant, which