198 AfAXXAR A7J CITA
IViānkarnacha-Highest peak in the Orissa State of Bonai, Bengal,
situated in 21° 47' N. and 85° 14 E., and rising to a height of 3,639
feet above sea-level.
Mankerā..-Village in the Bhakkar lahsil of Mianwāli District,
Punjab, situated in 31° 23' N. and 710 27' E. It lies in the heart
of the Thal, the desert of the Sind-Sāgar Doāb. A large fort, said to
have been founded by the Sials of Jhang, still exists in the village.
Mankerā was once the great stronghold of the Jaskani Baloch, who
in the beginning of the seventeenth century held the country from
the Indus to the Chenāb, and from Bhakkar to Leiah on the Indus.
They appear to have lost Mankerā to the Bhangi Sikhs about 1772,
but to have soon recovered it. In 1792 it became the capital of the
Pathdn Nawāb, Muhammad Khān Sadozai, who governed the Sind-
Sagar Doāb, and subsequently also Dera, for the Durrani kings of
Kābul, Bhakkar being his second capital. Muhammad Khan gradually
became independent, and was not molested by the Sikhs; but after
his death in 1815 Ranjit Singh invaded his territories, and in 1821
took Mankerā by siege. Mankerā then became the seat of a Sikh
governor, and at the annexation of the Punjab was made the head-
quarters of a lahsil till 1853-4
Manki.-Village in the Honavar ldluha of North Kanara District,
Bombay, situated in 14° 11' N. and 74° 32' E. Population (igoi),
6,co8. The remains of several Jain temples point to the fact that
Jain influence was formerly paramount in Manki, while several in-
scriptions show that the place was once of considerable importance.
A dilapidated fort on the coast is traditionally reported to have been
the former stronghold of the Karagars (now a degraded class) ; but
more probably it was held on behalf of the rulers of Vijayanagar by
the Sheorogars, a class claiming Kshattriya descent, who are more
numerous in Manki than in any other part of the District. After the
fall of Vijayanagar, Manki was possessed by the chiefs of Bednur and
eventually passed into the hands of Hyder Ali. The downfall of
Tipu added it with the rest of Kanara to British territory. Manki
contains three old Hindu temples of uncertain date. It formerly
possessed a large export trade in rice, raw sugar, and coco-nuts ; but
at present the annual imports amount to only Rs. 1,27o and the
exports to Rs. 18o.
Mdnkur.--Village in the head-quarters subdivision of Burdwān
District, Bengal, situated in 23° 26' N. and 870 34' E. Population
(1901), 7,2o6. Mankur is a station on the chord4ine of the East
Indian Railway, 9o miles from Calcutta, and has a considerable trade;
it is also a local seat of the silk-weaving industry. The Church
Missionary Society maintains a medical mission, at which r i,ooo
patients were treated in igoi.