202 MÂNP [,lie
Rs. 12,500 is derived from land, Rs. 3,500 from forests, and Rs. 2,8oo
from excise. The chief heads of expenditure are: Rs. 4,700 on the
collection of revenue, Rs. r,9oo on administrative establishment, and
Rs. r,6oo on public works. The land is assessed in two classes, lower
rates being given to the Bhi1 cultivators as an inducement to settle.
A.twenty years' settlement of seven villages was made in 1867, which
was renewed in 1887 for the whole pargana and extended to the
remaining villages. The Bhil rates are Rs. 8-8 per acre for irrigated
and Rs. 1-r2 to R. o-6-4 for unirrigated land ; other cultivators
pay Rs. 12 for irrigated and Rs. 1-8 to R. 0-11-2 for unirrigated land.
The incidence of the land revenue demand is Rs. 2-5 per acre of
cultivated land, and R. 0-11-2 per acre of the total area. The revenue
is collected in cash in British currency, which has been legal tender
since 1861. The par;ana is watched by a detachment of the Central
India Agency police. Two schools, one at Mânpur village and the
other at Sherpur, are situated in the pargana.
Mânpur, the head-quarters of the pargana, is situated in 22° 26' N.
and 75° 40' E., on the Bombay-Agra high road, r3 miles from Mhow
and 24 from.Indore. Population (r9o1), 1,748. The place is said to
derive its name from Raja Man Singh of Jaipur. The story goes that,
after suffering a defeat, certain Rajputs of Man Singh's army were
ashamed to return home, and settled in the district, where they founded
Mânpur, and called it after their chief. Forming connexions, as time
went on, with the Bhil women of the neighbourhood, they lost caste
and became merged in the general population. The Bhils of Manpur
claim a mixed descent equal to that of the Bhiltila, and consider them-
selves superior to other Bhils. A British post office, the residence of
the Political Agent, a school, a dispensary, and a public works inspection
bungalow are situated, in the place.
Mânsa State.-Petty State in MAH! KANTHA, Bombay.
Mânsa Town.-Chief town of the State of the same name in the
Mahi Kantha Agency, Bombay, situated in 23° 26' N. and 720 43' E.
Population (1901), 9,530. It has a large and wealthy community of
merchants, and is considered the richest town in Mahi Kantha.
Mansehra Tahsil (Münsahra).-Tahsil of Hazâra District, North-
West Frontier Province, lying between 34° 14' and 35° io' N. and
720 55" and 74° 6' E., with an area of 1,486 square miles. Shaped like
a cone, the tahsil runs in a north-easterly direction, comprising the
deep glen of Kagan and the mountain ranges on either hand. The
population in igor was 182,396, compared with 165,312 in 1891.
The tahsil contains the town of BAFFA (population, 7,029) and 244
villages, including the large village of MANSEHRA, its head-quarters.
The land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 1,03,000.
The AGROR valley is situated in this lahsil.