Mânsehra Village (Jlânsahra).-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the
same name, Hazara District, North-West Frontier Province, situated in
34° 2o N. and 73° 13' E., on the right bank of an affluent of the Siran,
north of Abbottŕbad, and on the main road from Kâla-ki-Sarai to the
Kashmir border. Population (1900, 5,o87. A few resident Khattri
traders do a considerable business in grain and country produce. The
.chief institutions are an Anglo-vernacular middle school maintained
by the District board, and a Government dispensary. Near the village
are two rocks on which are inscribed in the Kharoshthi character
thirteen of the edicts of Asoka.
Manthani-Head-quarters of the Mahadeopur tdluk, Karimnagar
District, Hyderabad State, situated in 18° 39' N. and 790 4o' E., about
one mile south of the Godavari river. Population (i90i), 6,680. The
town contains a dispensary, a school, and a post office.
Manu.-River of Assam which rises in the State of Hill Tippera,
and, after flowing in a tortuous north-westerly course through Sylhet
District, falls.into the Kusiyara branch of the Surma a little to the east
of Bahadurpur. Almost the whole of its course in the plains lies
through cultivated land, and it is largely used for the carriage of forest
produce of all kinds, tea, rice, and oilseeds. Boats Of 4 tons burden
can proceed as far as the frontier of Hill Tippera in the rainy season,
but during the dry season traffic is carried on in vessels of lighter
draught. The river passes a large number of local centres of trade, the
most important of which are Lalbag and Maulavi Bazar. A little to
the east of the latter place it receives a considerable tributary, the
Dholai. The total length of the river is 135 -miles.
Mânvi Tâluk.-Tdluk in Raiehűr District, Hyderabad State.
Including jzgirs, the population in rgoi was 70,773, and the area
573 square miles, while the population was 58,828 in r8gi. It con-
tained one town, MANVI (population, 6,253), the head-quarters; and
140 villages, of which 3 were jâgir. In 1905 part of the Yergara taliek
was incorporated in Manvi. It is separated from the Madras District
of Kurnool in the south by the Tungabhadra river. The land revenue
in igoi was 2 lakhs. The soil is chiefly regar or alluvial.
Manvi Town.--Head-quarters of the tâluh of the same name in
Raiehűr District, Hyderabad State, situated in 15° 59' N. and
77° 3' E. Population (19oi), 6,253. It contains temples of
Mŕrothi, Ramasimha, and Venkateshwara, and a Jama Masjid.
Opposite the temple of Marothi, which is erected on a hill to the
west of the town, is a large block of stone bearing a lengthy Kanarese
inscription. Another stone bearing an inscription -stands near a well
in the fort, which is now in ruins:
Mânwat.-Town in the Pathri tŕluh of Parb'hani District, Hyder-
abad State, situated in iq° r8' N. and 760 3o' ,E., five miles south of
VOL. XVII. 0