Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 17, p. 314.


Graphics file for this page
314 ML'Wfl T
Mewat merges in that of Alwar and Bharatpur. The Meos and
Mewatis, however, retained their character for turbulence; and towards
the end of the eighteenth century travelling in the Upper and Central
Doab was unsafe owing to armed bands of Mewad horsemen. They
gave much trouble to Lord Lake's forces in the Maratha War of 1803,
while in the Mutiny they and the Gūjars were conspicuous for their
readiness to take advantage of disorder.
[W. Crooke, Tribes and Castes of the North-Western Provinces and
Oudh, vol. iii, p. 485 et seq., where full authorities are quoted.]
Mhasvdd.--Town in the Man tdluka of Sātara District, Bombay,
situated in 17° 38' N. and 74 48' E., 51 miles east of Satara town, on
the road to Pandharpur. Population (1901), 7,014. Six miles south-
east of the town, at Rajewadi in Aundh State, is the great Mhasvad
irrigation lake, covering an area of 6 square miles. An ancient temple
of Nath stands near the western entrance of the town. Its courtyard,
in which Puranas are read daily by a Brahman, contains an inscription
and a black stone elephant, which is greatly venerated. A large fair
is held in December, at which cattle and blankets are sold. The
municipality, constituted in 1857, had an income during the decade
ending 1901 averaging Rs. 4,700. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 5,300.
The town contains a dispensary.
Mhow (Mau).-British cantonment in the Indore State, Central
India, situated in 22" 33' N. and 75° 46' E., on the southern boundary
of the Malwa plateau, and on the Ajmer-Khandwa branch of 'the
Rajputana-Malwa Railway. Population (1901), 36,039. It stands
on a somewhat narrow ridge of trap rock, with an average elevation of
about 1,8oo feet, the highest point near the barracks of the British
infantry being 1,919 feet above sea-level. The ridge falls away abruptly
on the south and east, but slopes away gradually on the west, forming
a broad plain used as a brigade parade ground. Mhow was founded by
Sir John Malcolm in 1818, in accordance with the conditions laid down
in the seventh article of the Treaty of Mandasor (see INDORE STATE),
and remained his head-quarters till 18 2 1 while he held general political
and military charge in Central India. In 1857 the garrison at Mhow
consisted of a regiment of native infantry, the wing of a regiment of
native cavalry, and a battery of field artillery, manned by British
gunners but driven by natives. An outbreak took place on the
evening of July i, but order was rapidly restored, and only a few lives
were lost, the Europeans taking refuge within the fort. The canton-
ment is now the head-quarters of the Mhow division in the Western
Command. The garrison consists of one regiment of British cavalry,
two batteries of horse artillery, one regiment of British infantry, one
ammunition column, and two regiments of Native infantry.
The population in 18,72 was 17,640; in 188r it was 15,896, the
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html