MÎRPUR 11ff1T .EL0 365
revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to over 1•4 lakhs. The tdluka
lies on the east of the Indus, which forms its northern boundary. It
is shaped somewhat like a parallelogram, and is an alluvial plain, the
northern portion being watered by canals fed directly by the Indus, and
the central and southern parts by distributaries of the Pinjari Mulchand
canals. The finest rice, known as sugdasi, is grown here, owing to the
soil being very fertile. fowdr and Mjra are also grown.
Mirpur Khâs Tâluka.-Tdluka of Thar and Pârkar District, Sind,
Bombay, lying between 25° 12' and 25° 48' N. and 68° 54' and
69° r6' E., with an area of 457 square miles. The population rose
from 27,866 in 1891 to 37,273 in i9oi. The tdluka contains one
town, M1RPUR KHAs (population, 2,787), the head-quarters; and r35
villages. The density, 82 persons per square mile, is the highest in
the District. The land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to
3'3 lakhs. The tdluka is irrigated by canals, of which the chief is
the Jâmrao. The Jodhpur-Bikaner Railway traverses it..
Mirpur Khâ.s Town.--Head-quarters of the tdluka of the same
name in Thar and Pârkar District, Sind, Bombay, situated in 25° 30' N.
and 69° 3' E., on the Luni-Hyderabâd branch of the Jodhpur-Bikaner
Railway, on the Let Wah canal, and also on the high road from
Hyderabad to Umarkot, 38 miles south-east of Hâla, and 41. miles
cast-north-east of Hyderabad via Tando Alâhyar (17 miles distant).
Population (1901), 2,787. The local trade is in grain, cotton (said
to be the finest in Sind), and piece-goods, valued at 3•88 lakhs. The
annual value of the transit trade is estimated at 25-67 lakhs.
Mirpur is a comparatively modern town, having been built in x806
by Mir Ali Murâd Talpur, and has increased in importance since
the opening of the Jâmrao Canal in igoo. A new suburb is now
being built on approved lines by the colonization officer of the
Jâmrao Canal. It was the capital of Mir Sher Muhammad Khan
Tâlpur, whose army was defeated in 1843 by Sir Charles Napier at
Dabba (Dabo) near Hyderabad. The town was constituted a muni-
cipality in i9oi, and had an income in 1903-4 of Rs. 13,000. It
contains a dispensary and one primary school, attended by 84
Mirpur Mâthelo.-----Tdluka of Sukkur District, Sind, Bombay,
lying between 27° 2o and 28° 7' N. and 69' r6' and 70 io' E.,
with an area of 1,720 square miles. The population rose from 48,068
in 1891 to 49,991 in i9oi. The tdluka contains ioo villages, of
which Mirpur Mathelo is the head-quarters. This is the most thinly
populated tract in the District, with a density of only 29 persons
per square mile. The land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted
to 2.2 lakhs. The hiluka, which produces mostly jôwdr, is watered
by the Masa Wah. In the south lies a wide tract of sandy desert.