MONGIIYle D157IKICT 389
between 22° 45' and 23° 47' N. and 91° 41' and 92° 7' E., with an
area of 653 square miles. The greater part of the country consists of
hills and ravines covered with dense tree jungle. The population
in 19oi was 31,898, compared with 22,708 in î89i. Most of the
people are Tipperas (see HILL TIPPERA). There are 128 villages,
of which MANIKCHERI is the residence of the chief who administers
the circle. The title of Mong Raja is hereditary ; the present in-
cumbent is Raja Nephru Sain.
Mong (Hung).-Village in the Phâlia tahsil of Gujrât District, Pun-
jab, situated in 32° 39' N. and 73° 33' E., 35 miles from Gujrât town.
It stands on an old ruined mound, the modern houses being built
of large ancient bricks. Greek and Indo-Scythian coins are found
in numbers among the ruins, many of them bearing the monogram
NIK ; but General Cunningham's identification of Mong as the
site of Nikaia, the city built by Alexander to commemorate his
victory over Porus, is no longer accepted. Tradition assigns the
origin of the mound to Raja Moga, whom Cunningham identified
with the Manes of the coins. The head-works of the Jhelum
Canal are situated in the neighbourhood.
M6nghsu and MSngsang (Burmese, 1Ylaingshu and 1Ylaingsin).-
Two small States (recently amalgamated) in the north of the eastern
division of the Southern Shan States, Burma, lying between 21° 31'
and 22° 5' N. and 98' 11' and 98° 32' E., with an area of 164 square
miles. Both States used formerly to be part of the Northern Shan
State of North Hsenwi, but were made separate charges in 1857.
The combined State is bounded on the north and east by Manglon ;
on the south by M6ngnawng ; and on the west by M6ngnawng and
Kehsi Mansam. It consists mainly of rugged hills and broad valleys,
watered by the Nam Pang and its affluents ; and rice is the only
crop grown to any extent. The population in 19or was 17,480,
distributed in 265 villages. More than 14,000 of this total consisted
of Shans, and the greater part of the remainder were Yins. A few
Palaungs live in the hills. The residence of the Myoza is at Monghsu
(population, 244), to the east of the Nam Pang on a tributary of that
stream. The revenue in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. r 1,ooo (all from
thathalneda); and the chief items of expenditure were Rs. 5,6oo
tribute to the British Government, Rs. 2,700 privy purse, and Rs. 1,700
general charges on account of administration.
Monghyr District (Mungir).-District in the Bhagalpur Division
of Bengal, lying between 24° 22' and 25° 49' N. and 850 36' and
86° 51' E., with an area of 3,922 square miles. Monghyr is bounded
on the north by the Districts of Bhagalpur and Darbhangâ ; on the
east by Bhagalpur ; on the south by the Santal Parganas and
Hazâribagh ; and on the west by Gaya, Patna, and Darbhangâ.