Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 17, p. 420.


Graphics file for this page
420 N OzVYTVA SUBDIVISION
Monywa Subdivision.-Subdivision of the Lower Chindwin Dis-
trict, Upper Burma, lying east of the Chindwin river. It comprises
the BUDALIN and MONYWA townships.
Monywa Township.-South-eastern township of the Lower Chin-
dwin District, Upper Burma, lying between 2I 55' and 22 21' N. and
950 3' and 950 39' E., from the Mu river in the east to the Chindwin
river in the west, with an area Of 487 square miles. The population
was 71,971 in 1891, and go,164 in 1go1, distributed in 297 villages, and
one town, MONYWA (population, 7,869), the head-quarters of the Dis
trict. The township head-quarters are at Alon (population, 3,624), the
terminus of the Sagaing-Alon branch railway, on the Chindwin, about
7 miles above Monywa. Trade has greatly increased since the annexa
tion, and communications have been largely improved. The township,
which is on the whole level and dry, contained 191 square miles under
cultivation in 19o3-4, and the land revenue and thathameda amounted
to Rs. 1,89,500.
Monywa Town.-Head-quarters of the Lower Chindwin District,
Upper Burma, situated in 22 6' N. and 95 8' E., on the left or eastern
bank of the Chindwin river, about 50 miles north of its junction with
the Irrawaddy, and 65 miles west of Sagaing, with which it is connected
by a branch railway. The town, which is low-lying and fairly well
shaded by tamarind-trees, is protected from the annual rise of the river
by an embankment along the water's edge. It contains the usual head-
quarters buildings, courthouse, and jail, all of which are situated at its
northern end, as well as large barracks and a hospital for the Chindwin
military police battalion. The railway station is at some little distance
from the river, to the east of the civil station. The club and a good
many of the houses of the European residents are close to the river
bank. The town is said to derive its name (which being interpreted is
'cake village') from a baker maiden whom a king of ancient days
found selling cakes, and took to himself as queen. It was of little
importance at the time of annexation, the head-quarters of the zvuiz
being at Alon, about 7 miles farther up the river; but it has since then
grown in importance and prosperity, and the last Census showed that
the population had increased from 6,316 in 1891 to 7,869 in 1gor, the
latter total including over 1,ooo natives of India. It is a fairly thriving
trade centre, and one of the chief ports of call for river steamers on
the Chindwin. Monywa was constituted a municipality in 1888. The
municipal revenue and expenditure during the ten years ending 19o1
averaged about Rs. 17,000. In 1903-4 the receipts were Rs. 26,8oo,
including Rs. r r,8oo from bazars and slaughter-houses. The ex-
penditure was Rs. 27,000, including Rs. 6,700 spent on conservancy,
Rs. 3,300 on the hospital, and Rs. 4,400 on roads. The town is well
laid out and intersected by good thoroughfares. A civil hospital has
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html