118 MYA UNGMYA TO IVNSHIP
Majority of the population occupy the north-east, and large stretches
of jungle cover the southern portions. The population was 53,224
in 18gr, and 75,343 In 19or, distributed in 227 villages and one town,
MYAUNCMVA (population,. 4,711), the head-quarters. About one-third
of the total are Karens. In 1903-4 the area under cultivation was
205 square miles, paying Rs. 3,15,000 land revenue; and the total
revenue amounted to Rs. 5,68,ooo.
Myaungmya Town.-Head-quarters of the District and township
of the same name in the Irrawaddy Division of Lower Burma, situated
in 16° 35' N. and 95° E., on the Myaungmya river, close to the western
border of the District. Myaungmya is a District of recent creation,
and its head-quarters is one of the smallest in the Province. The
population in 1901 was 4,711, Portions of the urban area are low-
lying, but the civil station is not unpleasantly situated on fairly high
ground behind the native houses which cluster round the river bank.
There is little of note in the history of the town beyond what is
embodied in the District article. It was the scene of the first rising
among the Karens in 1853, and became the District head-quarters
forty years later. It contains no pagodas or other remains of more
than local importance. The municipality of Myaungmya was estab-
lished in 1886. The municipal income during the ten years ending
1901 averaged Rs. 18,ooo. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 26,ooo,
principally derived from tolls on markets (Rs. 17,5oo) and house tax
(Rs. 2,ooo). The expenditure amounted to Rs. 36,ooo, the chief
items of outlay being conservancy (Rs. 5,ooo) and hospitals (Rs. 5,8oo).
The only large municipal scheme worthy of mention is the construction
of a market recently undertaken at a cost of Rs. 44,ooo. There are
no industries of importance in the town. The municipal school is
the most important in the District, with an attendance of about
loo scholars. The municipal hospital has thirty beds.
Myebon.-Coast township of Kyaukpyu District, Lower Burma
lying between 19° 38' and 2o° 16' N. and 93° 13' and 93° 51' E., with
an area of 441 square miles. The head-quarters are at the village
of Myebon (population, 1,120), on an island at the northern end of
Hunter's Bay, in the extreme north-west corner of the District. The
township is hilly and intersected by tidal creeks. The population was
2o,88o in 1891 and 24,100 in 1901. The number of villages is 146.
The majority of the population are Buddhists, but there is a sprinkling
of nat-worshipping Chins in its hill areas. The population is scattered
and the density (54 persons per square mile) is low. About 58 square
miles were cultivated in 1903-4, paying Rs. 61,ooo land revenue.
Myede.-South-eastern subdivision of Thayetmyo District, Burma,
conterminous with the Allanmyo township, and lying to the east of the
Irrawaddy, between 18° 55' and 19° 3o' N. and 95° 9' and 95° 52' E.