250 MYSORE STATE
9 inspectors. Vaccination is compulsory among State servants and
school children'. Owing to the difficulties in the way of procuring
good infant lymph for vaccination, a Vaccine Institute was established
at Bangalore in 1892 for preparing lymph from the calf, in lanoline.
In 1896 an Eye Infirmary was established, and in 1899 a well-
equipped Bacteriological Institute. Quinine was sold in 1904 in 3,426
packets, containing x02 powders of five grains each, at 418 post offices.
The dose was raised in 1905 to seven grains, and it is proposed to sell
through the village officials as well.
Sanitation has received special attention in the towns; but in
villages only the improvement and conservancy of the water-supply
have been looked to, and the removal of manure pits from the
immediate proximity of the dwellings insisted upon. The peremptory
evacuation of villages on the occurrence of plague has inclined the
people in some parts to build and permanently remain on the spots in
their fields where they have been camped.
The topographical survey of the State was completed in 1886. The
revenue survey was commenced in x863 and the settlement brought
Surveys. to an end in 190x. The system followed is that of
Bombay, as already explained (pp. 214, 234). The
area surveyed includes the whole of the State, or 29,433 square miles.
The maintenance of the survey records is also the duty of the Survey
[B. Lewis Rice: Mysore (revised edition, 1897).-Lewin B. Bowring
HaidarAli and Tipu Sultan (Rulers of India series, x893); Eastern
Experiences (187x).-Dr. Francis Buchanan: A Journey from Madras
through the Countries of Mysore, Canara, and Malabar (x807 ; Madras
reprint, 1870).-Major Mark Wilks : Historical Sketches of the South of
India, in an Attempt to trace the History of Afysoor (3 vols., 18ro-17;
Madras reprint, 1869).]
Mysore District.-District in the south of the State of Mysore,
lying between r1° 36' and 13° 3' N. and 75° 55' and 77° 2o' E., with
an area of 5,496 square miles. It is bounded on the north by Hassan
and Tumkfir Districts; on the east by Bangalore and the Coimbatore
District of Madras ; on the south by the Nilgiri and Malabar Districts
of Madras ; and on the west by Coorg.
The river CAUVERY, besides forming the boundary for some distance
both on the west and east, traverses the District from north-west to
east, receiving as tributaries the Hemavati, Loka-
Physical pavam, and Shimsha on the north, and the Lakshman-
tirtha, Kabbani, and Honnu-hole or Suvarnavati on
the south. Lofty mountain ranges covered with vast forests, the home
' A Regulation passed in x9o6 makes vaccination compulsory throughout (notified