Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 18, p. 318.


Graphics file for this page
318 NAGPUR TAHSIL
Nagpur Tahsi1-Central tahsal of the District of the same name,
Central Provinces, lying between 20 46' and 2' 23' N. and 78' 44"
and 79 ig' E., with an area of 871 square miles. The population
in 1go1 was 296,1'7, compared with 294,262 in '8g'. The general
density is 340 persons per square mile, and the rural density 136. The
tahsal contains four towns-NAGPUR CITY (population, 127,734), the
head-quarters of the Province, District, and tahsal, KAMPTEE (38,888),
KALMESHWAR (5,340), and SAONER (5,281)-and 417 inhabited
villages. Excluding 42 square miles of Government forest, 8o per
cent. of the available area is occupied for cultivation. The cultivated
area in 1903-4 was 578 square miles. The demand for land revenue in
the same year was Rs. 2,76,ooo, and for cesses Rs. 26,ooo. The tahsal
comprises the fertile plains of Kalmeshwar and Nagpur, the plateau of
Kauras, a continuation of the Katol uplands, and the undulating
Wunna valley. Cotton and jozeiar are the principal crops, but there is
a considerable area under wheat in the Kalmeshwar and Nagpur plains.
Nagpur City.-Capital of the Central Provinces, and head-quarters
of the District and tahsal of the same name, situated in 21 9' N. and
79 7' E., on the Great Indian Peninsula Railway, 520 miles from
Bombay, and on the Bengal-Nagpur Railway, 701 miles from Calcutta,
the two lines meeting here. The city stands on a small stream called
the Nag, from which it takes its name. Its site is somewhat low, sloping
to the south-east, with an open plain beyond, while to the north and
west rise small basaltic hills, on one side of which is situated the fort
Of SITABALDI, on another the residence of the Chief Commissioner,
and on a third the great reservoir which supplies the city with water.
Nagpur is steadily increasing in importance, the population at the
last four enumerations having been: (1872) 84,44', (1881) 98,229,
(189') 117,014, and ('go1) 127,734. The population in 'go1 included
104,476 Hindus, '7,368 Muhammadans, 760 Jains, 436 Parsis, and
3,794 Christians, of whom 1,780 were Europeans and Eurasians.
Nagpur was founded at the beginning of the eighteenth century by
the Gond Raja, Bakht Buland. It subsequently became the head-
quarters of the Bhonsla Rajas, and in 1861 of the Central Provinces
Administration. The battles of Sitabaldi and Nagpur were fought here
in x817. Two small riots have occurred in recent years-one in x896
at the commencement of the famine, and one in 1899 on the enforce-
ment of plague measures-but both were immediately suppressed
without loss of life. Nagpur itself possesses no archaeological remains
of interest, but some sculptures and inscribed slabs have been collected
in the Museum from various parts of the Province. The city is also
singularly bare of notable buildings; and since the Bhonsla palace was
burnt down in 1864, there is nothing deserving of mention. The
residence of the present representative of the family is situated in the
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html