Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 18, p. 344.


Graphics file for this page
344 NALGOATDA DISTRICT
In 1902, after the settlement of the two tdluks of Nalgonda and
Devalpalli, a cess of one anna in the rupee was levied for local
purposes, and boards were formed for every tdluk except Nalgonda,
with the tahsilddrs as chairmen. A District board was also constituted,
with the First Talukdar as president. Prior to the formation of these
boards and the levying of the one anna cess, the municipal expenditure
of the town of Nalgonda and of all.the head-quarters of tkluks was met
from State funds, amounting to RS. 2,844 in rgo1. The District
board supervises the work of the municipality of Nalgonda.
. The First Talukdar is the head of the police, with a Superintendent
(Mohtamim) as his executive deputy. Under him are 6 inspectors,
92 subordinate officers, 589 constables, and 25 mounted police.
These are distributed among 39 thdnas or police stations and 39 out-
posts. The rural police number 666, besides 1,098 setsindis or village
watchmen. Short-term prisoners are kept in the District jail at
Nalgonda, those with terms exceeding six months being sent to the
Central jail at Warangal. Since the recent changes, they have been
transferred to the Central jail at Nizamabad.
The District occupies a low position as regards the literacy of its
population, of whom only 19 per cent. (32 males and 0-3 females)
were able to read and write in 1go1. The total number of pupils
under instruction in 1881, 18gr, 1go1, and 1903 was 242, 1,097, 1,316,
and 1,472 respectively. In 1903 there were 29 primary and 2 middle
schools, with 84 girls under instruction. The total expenditure in
igoi was Rs. 8,8oo, all of which was paid by the State. Of this,
Rs. 8,336 was spent on State schools and Rs. 468 granted to the
aided schools. The fee receipts for the State schools amounted to
Rs. 603, and of the aided schools to Rs. 430.
There were 3 dispensaries in the District in 19or, with accommo-
dation for 12 in-patients. The total number of out-patients treated
was 24,739 and of in-patients 157, and 551 operations were per-
formed. The expenditure amounted to Rs. 10,074. The number of
persons successfully vaccinated was 1,811, or 2.6 per r,ooo of the
population.
Nalgonda Taluk.-Tdluk in Nalgonda District, Hyderabad State,
with an area of 874 square miles. Including jdgairs, the population in
1901 was 151,133, compared with 159,225 in 1891, the decrease being
due to transfer of certain villages. The tdluk contains one town,
NALGONDA (population, 5,889), the District and tdluk head-quarters;
and 216 villages, of which 26 are jdgir. The land revenue in igoi
was 3-5 lakhs. The soils are sandy, and irrigation by tanks and
channels is extensively resorted to for rice cultivation.
Nalgonda Town.-Head-quarters of the District and taluk of
the same name, Hyderabad State, situated in 17 3'N. and 79 16' E.,
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html