N,4OGAON SUR.DIVISIO.P' 367
the rightful heir was recognized, and under the able management of the
late Sir Jang Bahadur Khan, K.C.I.E., it became extremely prosperous..
The present Raja, Muhammad Sadik Khan, succeeded in 19o2.
Nanpara Town.--Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name
in Bahraich District, United Provinces, situated in 27° 52' N. and
81° 30' E., on the Bengal and North-Western Railway. Population
(r9or), ro,6or. Tradition states that it was founded by Nidhai, an
oil-seller, whence the name Nidhaipurwa, corrupted into Nadpara, and
latterly to Nanpara. About 163o an Afghan in the service of Shah
Jahan, having received a grant of this and four other villages, laid the
foundations of the present NANPARA 1aTATr. The town contains the
usual offices, and also a dispensary, and a branch of the American
Methodist Mission. It has been administered as a municipality since
1871. During the ten years ending 19o1 the income and expenditure
averaged Rs. 9,ooo. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 14,000, chiefly
from octroi (Rs. 8,ooo) ; and the expenditure was Rs. 1o,ooo. There
is a flourishing export trade in grain and some traffic with Nepal. Two
schools have 150 pupils.
Nanta.-Village in the Ladpura district of the State of Kotah
Rajputana, situated in 25° 12' N. and 75° 49' E., about 3 miles
north-west of Kotah city. It was given in jagir to the Jhala Faujdars
of Kotah about the beginning of the eighteenth century, and in the
time of the regent Zalim Singh was a flourishing town; but it is
now little more than an agricultural village, containing, among other
inhabitants, a colony of about 300 of the criminal tribes (Baoris,
Kanjars, and Sansias), whom the Darbar is endeavouring to con-
vert into respectable agriculturists. Zalim Singh's old palace is a
fine specimen of a Rajput baronial residence; but it has not been
used for years, and its cloistered court, pavilions, fountains, &c.,
are falling into decay.
Naogaon Subdivision.-Northern subdivision of Rajshahi -Dis-
trict, Eastern Bengal and AAssam, lying between 24' 32' and 25° 3' N.
and 88` 23' and 89° ro' E., with an area of 867 square miles. The
subdivision, which is intersected by the Atrai, contains much swampy
and waterlogged land to the east of that river ; but to the north-west
the country forms part of the Barind, an elevated and undulating tract
consisting of a stiff red clay covered with brushwood. The population
was 476,072 in 19or, compared with 424,545 in 1891, the density
being 549 persons per square mile. It contains 2,346 villages, one
of which, NAOGAON (population, 4,092), forms the head-quarters
but no town. It is best known on account of the pima produced in
the Naogaon and Panchupur thdnas, which supply the whole of Bengal
and Assam and part of the United Provinces. A large annual fair
is held at MANnA.