368 NA0GA0N VILLAGE
Naogaon Village.-Head-quarters of the subdivision of the same .
name in Rajshahi District, Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated in
24° 48' N. and 88° 57' E., on the west bank of the Jamuna river.
Population (1901), 4,092. The village derives importance from being
the centre of the gdnja cultivation, and nearly a lakh has been spent
on the gdnja offices and storehouses. It contains the usual subdivi-
sional offices ; the sub-jail has accommodation for 18 prisoners.
Naorangpur.-Zaminddri tahsil of Vizagapatam District, Madras.
Naosari.-Prdnt, tdluka, and town in Baroda State. See NAVSARl.
Napad.-Village in the Anand tdluka of Kaira District, Bombay,
situated in 22° 29' N. and 72° 59' E., 14 miles west of the Vasad
railway station. Population (1901), 5,053. Till 1869 Napad was
a mdmlatddr's station. North of the village is a handsome pond,
500 yards in circuit, said to have been built about four hundred years
ago by a Pathan named Taze Khan Narpali, governor of Petlad.
It is enclosed by brick walls, and is octagonal in shape, a triangular
flight of steps within each side leading to the water. On the west
is an Idgah, or place for Id prayers, with a flight of granite steps
leading to the lake. Along the bank beyond the Idgah are traces
of terraces and other buildings. The well, to the east of the village,
also the work of Taze Khan Narpali, was repaired in 1838 by a Baroda
Nar.-Town in the Petlad tdluka, Baroda prdnt, Baroda State,
situated in 22° 28' N. and 72° 45' E., on the Petlad-Cambay Rail-
way. Population (1901), 6,525. The town possesses a vernacular
school and two dharmsdlas.
Nara.-Petty State in REWA KANTHA, Bombay.
Nara, Eastern.-An important water channel in Sind, Bombay.
It is commonly spoken of as a natural branch of the Indus, and,
judging from the enormous size of its bed and the fact that it has
no source, may possibly have been so formerly. The upper part of
the Nara river, as it existed before works were undertaken on it
by the British Government, was merely a small channel in the sand-
hills of the eastern desert of Sind, through which spill-water from
the Indus, above Rohri, found its way to the alluvial plain of the
Indus in Central and Lower Sind. As much as 9o,ooo cubic feet
per second was roughly calculated to have spilled into it during the
flood of 1851. Owing to the very uncertain supply thus received
in the Nara, a channel from the Indus at Rohri, r 2 miles in length,
known as the Nara Supply Channel, was constructed by Govern-
ment in 1858-9, on the recommendation of Lieutenant Fife. This
channel was designed to carry an average discharge of 8,413 cubic
feet per second during the inundation period, but at times twice