NAR WAR TOWN
scarf. Narwar formerly produced a considerable quantity of crude
iron, smelted from the magnetic iron ore abounding in the neighbour-
hood; but this industry has now decayed. A State post office, a school,
a dispensary, and a police station are situated here.
Narwar State (r).-Mediatized chiefship in the Gwalior Residency,
Central India. See PARON.
Narwar State (2).-Thakurdt in the MALwX AGENCY, Central
Nasarpur.-Town in the Tando Alahyar taluka of Hyderabad
District, Sind, Bombay, situated in 25° 31' N. and 68° 39' E. Popu-
lation (1901), 4,511. Nasarpur was formerly famous for its weaving
industries, and cotton goods are still manufactured in some quantity
on hand-looms ; but the trade of the place is insignificant. The town
is of very ancient date, and is said to have been built in A.D. 989. The
municipality was constituted in 1860, and had an average income of
about Rs. 6,ooo during the decade ending 19or. In 1903-4 the
income was Rs. 6,ooo. The town contains a courthouse, a dispensary,
and a boys' school.
Nasik Agency, The.-This consists of a single petty State lying
in the north-west corner of Nasik District, Bombay. See SURGANA.
Nasik District (Nasica of Ptolemy).-District in the Central Divi-
sion of the Bombay Presidency, lying between r9° 35' and 20° 53' N.
and 73° 15' and 74° 56' E., with an area of 5,850 square miles. It
is bounded on the north and north-east by the District of Khandesh ;
on the south-east by the Nizam's Dominions ; on the south by Ahmad-
nagar ; and on the west by Thana District, the territories of Dharampur,
Surgana, and the Dangs.
With the exception of a few villages in the west, the whole District
is situated on a table-land at an elevation of from 1,300 to 2,000 feet
above the sea. The western portion, from north
Physical to south, called Dang, is generally much divided
aspects. by hills and intersected by ravines, and only the
simplest kind of cultivation is possible. The eastern portion, called
Desh, is open, fertile, and well cultivated. Except the line of the
Western Ghats, which run north and south, the general direction of
the hills is from west to east, the higher portions being in the west.
The SATMALA Or Chandor range of hills forms the watershed of the
District, dividing the valley of the Girna from that of the Goda-
vari. It stretches from Peint east into the Nizam's Dominions, and
is crossed by several fair passes. The most important of these, which
takes its name from the range, is traversed by a first-class bridged
and metalled road. East of Rahudi, the Chandor range ceases to
be a barrier. Its chief peak, DHODAP, is 4,741 feet high. Several
of the minor peaks are of religious and historic interest. A .low