Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 18, p. 415.


Graphics file for this page
NA TMA UK 415
Naswadi.-Petty State in REwn KANTHA, Bombay.
Nathdwara (` the portal of the god').-Walled town in the State of
Udaipur, Rajputana, situated in z4 56' N. and 73 49' E., on the right
bank of the Banas river, about 30 miles north-by-north-east of Udaipur
city, and 114 miles north-west of Maoli station on the Udaipur-Chitor
Railway. In 19or the town contained 8,59, inhabitants, more than
83 per cent. being Hindus ; but, in a place of pilgrimage like this, the
population varies almost weekly. There is a combined post and
telegraph office, and the Maharaj Gosain of Nathdwara maintains a
dispensary. The town possesses one of the most famous Vaishnavite
shrines in India, in which is an image of Krishna, popularly said
to date from the twelfth century B. c. This image was placed by
Vallabhacharya in a small temple at Muttra in 1495 and was moved
to Gobardhan in 1519. About 150 years later, when Aurangzeb
endeavoured to root out the worship of Krishna, the descendants of
Vallabhacharya left Muttra District with their images and wandered
about Rajputana till 167r, when Rana Raj Singh invited three of them
to Mewar. To Dwarka Nath he assigned the village of Asotiya near
Kankroli, while for Sri Nathji's worship he set apart the village of
Siar, to the south of which the town of Nathdwara was subsequently
built. The guardian of the temple is termed Maharaj Gosain, and is
the head of the Vallabhacharya sect of Brahmans; besides this town,
he holds thirty villages in different parts of Mewar, and land in
Baroda, Bharatpur, Bikaner, Karauli, Kotah, Partabgarh, and other
States, and a village in Ajmer District granted by Daulat Rao
Sindhia. The annual income of his estates is about two lakhs, and
the offerings received at the shrine are estimated at between four
and five lakhs yearly. Small jewels of gold or silver, very artistically
decorated with coloured enamel, are made at Nathdwara, and sold
to pilgrims.
[A. Cunningham, Archaeological Survey of Northern India, vol. xxiii,
Pp. 99-1101.]
Nathia Gali.-Hill station in the Abbottabad tahsil of Hazara
District, North-West Frontier Province, and summer head-quarters of
the Chief Commissioner, situated in 34 5' N. and 73 58' E., on the
road from Murree to Abbottabad, about half-way between each place.
Together with Dunga Gali, it constitutes a `notified area' under the
Punjab Municipalities Act, 1891, of which the income in 1903-4 was
Rs. 3,000, chiefly derived from a house tax. The expenditure was
Rs. r,9oo.
Natmauk.-North-eastern township of Magwe District, Upper
Burma, lying between 20' 15'and 20' 46* N. and 95' 2' and 95'49'E.,
with an area of 887 square miles. The greater part of the area is dry
and poorly watered. Rice is raised in the neighbourhood of the Yin
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html