NA USHAHRA TAHSIL
the usual subdivisional offices; the sub-jail has accommodation for
Naugaon.-Thahurat in the MALWA AGENCY, Central India.
Naugaon.-British cantonment in Central India. See NOWGONG.
Naungpale.-One of the KARENNI States, Burma.
Naushahra Tahsil (r).-Tahsil of Peshawar District, North-West
Frontier Province, lying between 33° 47' and 34° 9' N. and 7 r° 4o' and
720 15' E., with an area of 703 square miles. It consists of a small
tract of low-lying riverain land on both sides of the Kabul river, known
as the Khalsa tappa, and of the Khattak pargana which includes the
Khwarra-Ni1ab valley and is separated from it by the Khattak range.
This range culminates in the Ghaibana Sir (5,136 feet in height) on the
western boundary of the tahsil, and the sanitarium of Cherat (4,542
feet), whence the range trends to the eastward, gradually sinking to
2,38o feet at Hodi Sir above the Indus. Half the tahsil is hilly and
very broken country, the main part of its area consisting of the arid
and barren slopes on the north of the Khattak hills towards Kabul.
The north-west corner is irrigated by the KABUL RIVER CANAL. The
population in 19oi was 116,163, compared with 18o,20r in 18gi. It
contains the town of NAUSHAHRA (population, 9,518), the headquar-
ters, the hill station of CHERAT, and 142 villages. The land revenue
and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 1,21,000.
Naushahra Town (i).-Town and cantonment in Peshawar Dis-
trict, North-West Frontier Province, and head-quarters of the subdivi-
sion and tahsil of the same name, situated in 34° N. and 72° E., on the
North-Western Railway and the grand trunk road, 27 miles due east of
Peshawar. Population (igoi), 9,518. The cantonment stretches along
the right bank of the Kabul river on a sandy plain, 3 miles in diameter,
and is surrounded by low hills on all sides except the north, which is
open towards the river. The garrison now consists of one British
infantry regiment, two Native cavalry and four infantry regiments, a
mountain battery, and a bearer corps, belonging to the Peshawar
division of the Northern Command. The Kabul river is crossed by
a permanent bridge of boats, whence roads lead to Mardan and
Charsadda. The iron road and railway bridge across the river was
opened on December 1, 1903. The village of Naushahra Khurd,
west of the cantonment, and the large village of Naushahra Kalftn, on
the north bank of the Kabul, are both outside cantonment limits. The
head-quarters of the Naushahra tahsil, with the police station, are in
the former, 3 miles from the cantonment. The town contains a
Government dispensary and a vernacular middle school, maintained
by the District board.
Naushahra Tahsil (or Sadikabad) (2).-Tahsil in the Khanpur
nizamaf, Bahawalpur State, Punjab, lying between 27° 56' and 28°