NA USHAHRA TAHS.7L
54' N. and 70° 7' and 70° 36' E., with an area of r,69o square miles.
The population in 19ox was 80,735, compared with 66,584 in 189x. It
contains the town of NAUSHAHRA (population, 4,475) the head-quarters;
and 71 villages. The Hakra, which traverses the southern part of the
tahsil, separates the central tract from the desert. Along the Indus
lie fertile lowlands. The land revenue and cesses in 1905-6 amounted
to 2 lakhs.
Naushahra Town (2).-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same
name in Bahawalpur State, Punjab, situated in 28' 25'N. and 70' ig, E.,
1o9 miles south-west of Bahawalpur town. Population (1901), 4,475
The town contains a rice-husking mill, started in 19or, and a dispen
sary. The municipality had an income in 1903-4 of Rs. 3,700, chiefly
Naushahro.-Subdivision of Hyderabad District, Sind, Bombay,
composed of the SAKRAND, MORO, NAUSHAHRo FIROz, KANDIARO,
and NASRAT tdlukas.
Naushahro Abro.-Tdluka of Sukkur District, Sind, Bombay,
lying between 27° 42' and 28° 2' N. and 68' 15' and 68° 48' E., with
an area of 4o8 square miles. The population rose from 66,227 in 1891
to 7r,o36 in xgox. The tdluka contains one town, GARHI YASIN
(population, 6,554), the head-quarters; and 87 villages. The density,
147 persons per square mile, greatly exceeds the District average. The
land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to 2•8 lakhs. The tdluka
is fertile and, together with the Shikarpur tdluka, is the most prosperous
tract in the District. The chief crops are rice, jowdr, wheat, and gram,
which are irrigated from the Sukkur Canal.
Naushahro Firoz.-Tdluka in Hyderabad District, Sind, Bom-
bay, lying between 26° 35' and 27° 8' N. and 67' 56' and 68' 25' E.,
with an area of 539 square miles. The population in 19o1 was
97,5o6, compared with 90,976 in 189r. The density, 181 persons
per square mile, greatly exceeds the District average. The number
of villages is 105, of which Naushahro Firoz is the head-quarters. The
land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to about 2-3 lakhs.
The western portion of the tdluka is covered with forests, which
have suffered of late years from the encroachments of the river. About
two-thirds is irrigated by canals, aided by wells. The chief crops are
wheat, gram, jowdr, and indigo.
Navalgund Tdluka.-North-western tdluka of Dharwar District,
Bombay, lying between 15* 21'and 15' 53'N. and 75' 5' and 75' 33'E.,
with an area of 565 square miles. It includes the petty subdivision
(jetha) of Nargund. There are three towns, ANNIGERI (population,
7,x72), NARGUND (ro,416), and NAVALGUND (7,862), the head-quar
ters; and 83 villages. The population in x 9o x was 94,709, compared
with 105,876 in 1891. Navalgund is the most thinly populated