Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 18, p. 419.


Graphics file for this page
NA VAINAGAR STATE
419
tiluha in the District, with a density of 168 persons per square mile.
The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was 3-9 lakhs, and for cesses
Rs. 28,ooo. The tdluka forms an expanse of black soil, with three
hills, namely, Great Nargund, Chik or Little Nargund, and Navalgund,
running from north-west to south-east. The supply of drinking-water
is chiefly from rivers. The rainfall, which averages 24 inches in the
year, is uncertain.
Navalgund Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluka of the same name
in Dharwar District, Bombay, situated in 15' 33' N. and 75 21' B.,
24 miles north-east of Dharwar town. Population (1901), 7,862. The
town is celebrated for the excellence of its cotton carpets, and for its
superior breed of cattle, which are chiefly sold at the weekly market
on Tuesdays. In r454 it appears as the head-quarters of a sarkdr
under the Bahmani Sultan Ala-ud-din. In 16Do, under Aurangzeb's
governor of Savanur, it was the head-quarters of a revenue division,
managed by an hereditary Lingayat officer styled the Desai of Navalgund,
In 1747 it was ceded to the Peshwa. It was conquered by Tipu Sultan,
and taken from him by the Marathas, who gave the Desai's family a
maintenance in land yielding Rs. 23,000 per annum. Between 1795
and i8oo, in the struggles which convulsed the Maratha State, Dhundu
Pant Gokhale took Navalgund and Gadag from the hereditary Desai.
In r837 General Munro appointed one Ram Rao as the military officer
of Navalgund, who seized possession of more than half the district,
and defeated the son of Gokhale. Hearing of this defeat, Gokhale
came from Badami and was himself defeated by General Munro,
marching from Dharwar. The Desai of Navalgund still enjoys some
indm lands. In 1838 adoption was allowed, on condition that the
Desai abolished all duties on trade. A municipality was constituted
in 1870, of which the receipts during the decade ending r9or averaged
Rs. 7,200. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 6,7oo. The town contains
a dispensary, and three schools, including one for girls.
Navanagar State.-Native State in the Kathiawar Political
Agency, Bombay, lying between 21" 44'and 22' 58'N. and 69' 2o' and
70 33' E., on the southern shore of the Gulf of Cutch, with an area
of 3.791 square miles. It is bounded on the north by the Gulf and
the Rann of Cutch ; on the east by the Native States of Morvi, Rajkot,
Dhrol, and Gondal; on the south by the Sorath division of Kathiawar;
and on the west by the Okha Rann and the Arabian Sea. It is
generally flat, but about two-thirds of the Barda hills are contained
within its limits. Mount Venu, the highest point of the Barda hills,
is 2,057 feet above sea-level. The principal rivers are the Bhadar, the
Vartu, the Aji, and the Und. The harbours of Jodiya Salaya and
Navanagar or Bedi are situated within the State. Mangrove swamps
line the shores of the Gulf, affording large supplies of firewood and
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html