NA VSARI PRANT
a small extent, the manufacture of gold ornaments, a little rough
iron-work, brass- and copper-work, wood- and ivory-carving are also
carried on. But though arts and manufactures are scanty, trade and
commerce flourish fairly well. The agricultural- and forest wealth is
great; and there is a considerable export of toddy, 'plantains, sugar-
cane, rice, jowar, molasses, sugar, teak, salad, and other produce.
The import trade too is good, the chief articles being European
piece-goods, stationery, iron-ware, glass-ware, umbrellas, and brass and
copper vessels. Trade is carried on partly by sea from Bilimora and
Navsari, but chiefly by railway. In this latter respect the prdnt is well
served, for the Bombay, Baroda, and Central India Railway runs from
north to south, and the Tapti Valley Railway crosses it from east to west.
Roads lead from Sayan to Kathor, Bilimora to Gandevi, Kosamba
to Velachha, Maroli to Navsari, and Vyara to the Unhai hot springs.
The land revenue increased from 19-5 lakhs in 1881 to 21-4 lakhs
in 189x, but fell to 19.3 lakhs in 1901. In 1904-5 the demand was
16-4 lakhs, of which 15-7 lakhs was collected. Most of the print was
settled between 1896 and 1903, and the assessment of portions is now
being revised. In a few villages in the Songarh tdluha land was
formerly assessed on the number of ploughs used in cultivation, but
this method has been replaced by the ordinary system. The average
assessment in different tdlukas varies from Rs. 1-4 to Rs. 3-2 per
bagha (4-, acre) for 'dry' land, and from Rs. 3-9 to Rs. 5-12 for 'wet'
The paint contains six municipalities, two of which-Navsari and
Gandevi-have partly elective boards, with a total income of
Rs. 12,000 from customs, excise, and tolls, besides a grant of
Rs. 5,500, while the other four-Bilimora, Kathor, Vyara, and Son-
garh-derive their income of Rs. 4,ooo entirely from grants from the
State. A District board and local boards were constituted in 1905.
The administration of the print is carried on by the Subah, who
has his head-quarters at Navsari. Here also are the court of the print
judge and the head offices of other departments. Education is well
provided for, as there are two high schools (at Navsari and Gandevi),
three Anglo-vernacular schools, and 211 vernacular schools, the total
number of pupils in 1904-5 being 13,133. At the civil hospital at
Navsari town and seven dispensaries elsewhere, 41,266 patients were
treated in 1904-5, of whom 74 were in-patients.
Navsari Taluka.-South-western tdluha of the Navsari prrlnt,
Baroda State, with an area of 125 square miles. Population rose from
53,523 in 1891 to 59,875 in 1901. The tdluha contains one town,
NAVSAR1 (population, 21,451), the head-quarters; and 6o villages. It
is a flat plain, with two rivers running through it, the Mindhola on the
north and the Purna on the south. The soil is black, great or light