Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 19, p. 1.


Graphics file for this page
IMPERIAL GAZETTEER
OF INDIA
VOLUME XIX
Nayakanhatti.-Town in the Challakere tdluk of Chitaldroog
District, Mysore, situated in 14 28' N. and q6 33' E., 14 miles north-
west of Challakere town, Population (1901), 2,858. The name was
formerly Hatti. It was founded by a Naik, who came here with large
droves of superior cattle from near Srisailam in Kurnool District in
search of pasture. He was recognized as a poligdr by Vijayanagar, and
exchanged some of his cattle for Molakalmuru. The territory was cap-
tured by the chiefs of Chitaldroog, and was held by them till subdued
by Haidar Ali. At Nayakanhatti is a tomb and temple dedicated to
a Mahapurusha or saint of the Lingayafs, to which sect most of the
people belong. The municipality, formed in x899, became a Union
in 1904. The receipts and expenditure for two years ending xgoi
averaged Rs. 1,5oo and Rs. 500. In 1903-4 they were Rs. x,xoo and
Rs. 3,300.
Nayanagar.-Town in Merwara, Rajputana. See BEAWAR.
Nazareth.-Village in the Srivaikuntam hiluk of Tinnevelly District,
Madras, situated in 8 34' N. and 77' 59' E., 22 miles from Palam-.
cottah. Population (1901), 4,351, of whom 2,690 were Christians. As
its name shows, Nazareth is a missionary village; and it contains a high
school for girls, an art industrial school (one of the most prominent in
the Madras Presidency), an orphan asylum, and a mission hospital. It
is the head-quarters of a Christian mission, which numbers 12,000
adherents and includes 2,000 school-children. Good hand-made lace
is manufactured at the art school.
Nazira (or Gargaon).-Village in Sibsagar District, Eastern Bengal
and Assam, situated in 26' 56' N. and 94 45' E., on the left bank of
the Dikho river, about 9 miles south-east of Sibsagar town. It was the
capital of the Ahom Rajas from the middle of the sixteenth to the end
of the seventeenth century, but was twice captured, once by the Koch
king Nar Narayan and once by Mir Jumla, Nawab of Dacca. The
Muhammadan historian states that the town had four gates, each about
3 kos distant from the Raja's palace. The palace itself was a magnifi-
cent structure, the building of which had afforded occupation to 12,000
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html