workmen for a year, and the ornaments and curiosities with which the
whole woodwork was filled defied all description. Robinson, writing
in 1844, describes the ruins as follows :-
'The royal palace was surrounded by a brick wall about 2 miles in
circumference; but the whole town and its suburbs appear to have
extended over many square miles of country. The ruins of gateways,
built chiefly of masonry, are still to be seen within the fortified circum
vallations which surrounded the town. One of the gateways is com-
posed principally of large blocks of stone, bearing marks of iron
crampings, which evidently show that they once belonged to far more
Nazis is now the head-quarters of the Assam Tea Company, and
a considerable bazar has sprung up on the banks of the river, to which
Nagas bring down chillies, betel-leaf, rubber, and bamboo mats. Salt,
grain, piece-goods, and oil are imported in large quantities to meet the
demands of the cooly population. The place is connected by rail with
Gauhati and Dibrugarh, and contains a. high school with an average
attendance in 1903-4 of 164 boys.
Neddiavattam.-Village in Nilgiri District, Madras. See NADU-
Neemuch.-Town and British cantonment in Central India. See
Negapatam Subdivision.-Subdivision of Tanjore District, Madras,
consisting of the NEGAPATAM and NANNILAM tdluks.
Negapatam Taluk.-Coast hiluk of Tanjore District, Madras, lying
between 10° 32' and 10° 50' N. and 79° 34' and 79° 51' E., with an
area of 240 square miles. The population fell from 220,165 in 1891 to
217,607 in r9o1 ; but the tdluk still stands second in the District and
fifth in the Presidency in regard to density, which is 907 persons per
square mile. The taluk contains proportionately more educated people
than any other in the District ; and it owes this characteristic and its
general importance to NEGAPATAM TOWN (population, 57,190), the head-
quarters, which is a large municipality and seaport. The only other
considerable town is TIRUVALUR (15,436), noted for its temple and the
idol car belonging thereto. The number of villages is 189. The de-
mand for land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 5,75,000.
Although it lies within the Cauvery delta, the south-easternmost por-
tions are beyond the irrigation system which depends upon that river.
It contains no alluvial soil and the land is not of a very high class.
Negapatam Town (Ptolemy's Niganios and Rashid-ud-din's Mali-
fatian).-Head-quarters of the tahik of the same name and seaport
in Tanjore District, Madras, situated in 10° 46' N. and 79° 51' E.,
212 miles from Madras by the South Indian Railway and its branch,
the District board line. The population in 1871 was 48,525; in 1881,