Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 19, p. 25.


Graphics file for this page
NEPAL 2 5
of the Narbada. To the north it is bounded by the Vindhyan, range,
on the slopes of which grow forests of considerable economic value.
Besides the Narbada, several tributaries, the Chankeshar, Datum,
Bagdi, and other smaller streams, afford an ample supply of water.
The annual rainfall is 29 inches.
Nemawar is closely connected historically with the neighbouring
British District of NiiMnR, south of the river. Albirami (A. D. 970
1039) mentions travelling from Dhar to Nemawar. From the tenth to
the thirteenth century it was held by the Paramara kings of Malwa,
in whose time the fine Jain temple at Nemawar village was erected.
Under Akbar the district was included in the Hindia sarkar of the
Subah of Malwa. Between 1740 and 1745 part of this district fell to
the Peshwa, some of its parganas passing in 1782 to Sindhia. In the
early years of the nineteenth century the notorious Pindari leader
Chita made his head-quarters at Satwas and Nemawar, and in 1815
collected in this district the largest Pindari band ever assembled. In
1844 some parganas were included in the districts assigned for the
upkeep of the Gwalior Contingent. After the disturbances of 1857
a portion of Nemawar remained under British management until 1861,
when it was made over to Holkar in exchange for certain lands held by
him in the Deccan.
The population decreased from 97,363 in 1891 to 74,568 in 1901,
giving a density in.the latter year of 70 persons per square mile.
There are 337 villages. The district is in charge of a Suuah, whose
head-quarters are at SATWAS It is divided for administrative purposes
into three parganas, with head-quarters at Khategaon, Kantaphor, and
Kannod, each in charge of an anon, who is magistrate and revenue
collector of his charge. The total revenue is 3.6 lakhs.
Nepal.-The kingdom of Nepal, the land of the Gurkhas, is a Native
State on the northern frontier of India, extending along the southern
slopes of the Himalayas for a length of about 500 miles. Its general
direction is from north-west to east, between the Both and 88th degrees
of E. longitude, the most southern and eastern angle reaching as low as
the 26th, and its most northern and western corner as high as the 30th
degree of N. latitude. In shape, therefore, the country is long and
narrow, varying in breadth from 9o to roo miles, while its area is
estimated at 54,000 square miles. Along its northern boundary Nepal
adjoins Tibet; on the east it is bounded by the State of Sikkim and
the District of Darjeeling; on the south by Bengal and the United
Provinces; and on the west by Kumaun and the river Kali. Nepal
is thus contiguous on three sides to British territory. Very little is
known of its northern frontier, which is formed by the eternal snows
of the Himalayas; and it is probable that this frontier is not strictly
defined, except at the accessible points of the passes leading into
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html