56 NERBUDDA DIVISION
of the Narbada valley were already so closely cultivated as to leave
little room for further expansion. During the last decade the popula-
tion decreased to 1,783,441, or by 5 per cent., as a result of a suc
cession of disastrous failures of crops. Since the Census of 19or
a small transfer of territory has taken place, and the adjusted popula-
tion in 1904 was 1,785,oo8. The Nerbudda Division is the smallest
in the Province in both area and population. In 1901 Hindus num-
bered 70 per cent. of the total, and Animists 18 per cent. There were
84,122 Musalmans, 9,522 Jains, and 5,355 Christians, of whom 709
were Europeans or Eurasians. The density of population is 97 persons
per square mile, compared with 112 for the British Districts of the
Province. The Division contains 17 towns and 6,164 villages. BUR-
HANPUR (33,341) is the only town with more than 20,000 inhabitants.
On the large block of the Satpuras, known as the Mahadeo hills, in
the south of Hoshangabad District, is situated the sanitarium of PACH-
MARHf, which is the summer head-quarters of the Local Government.
The small State of MAKRAI in Hoshangabad is under the supervision
of the Commissioner.
District. Area in Population, and cesses,
squaremiles.* 1901.* 1903-
Narsinghpur . 1,976 315,518 6,93
Hoshangabad . 3,676 446,585 7,72
Nimar . 4,273 329,615 4,61
Betel 3,826 285,363 2.94
Chhindwara . 4,631 407,927 3,41
Total 18,382 1,785,008 25,60
. The District figures of area and population have been adjusted, to allow for some
small transfers of territory which have taken place since the Census of 19ot.
Nerbudda.-River in the Central Provinces, Central India, and
Bombay. See NARBADA.
Nerla.-Village in the Valva tdluka of Satara District, Bombay,
situated in 17° 5' N. and 74° 16' E., 44 miles south-by-east of Satara
town. Population (1901), 7,524.
Netrakond Subdivision.-North-eastern subdivision of Mymen-
singll District, Eastern Bengal and Assam, lying between 24° 35' and
25` 11' N. and 90° 29' and 91° 15' E., with an area of 1,148 square
miles. With the exception of a hilly tract in the north-east, where the
Durgapur thdna borders on the Garo Hills, the subdivision is a flat
alluvial plain. The population was 574,771 in 1901, compared with
536,568 ih 1891. It contains one town, NETRAKONA (population,
11,402), the head-quarters; and 1,965 villages. The density is 501 per-
sons per square mile, against an average of 618 for the whole District ;