Language (1889). Inlernali'onales Archiv fur Bthnographie (Leiden,
1893). Svoboda, `Die Bewohner des Nikobar-Archipels' ; continental
bibliography.-Sir R. C. Temple: Census Report, igo1, on the Andaman
and Nicobar Islands (1903).]
Nidugal.-Pointed hill, 3,772 feet high, in the north of Tumkur
District, Mysore, situated in 14° 9 N. and 77° 5' E. The lower part
is surrounded with six lines of fortifications. In the ninth and tenth
centuries it was held by the Nolamba chiefs of the Pallava family, whose
capital was at Henjeru, now called Hemavati. It then passed to the
line of Chola chiefs under the Chalukyas, and the Hoysalas took it
early in the thirteenth century. Under Vijayanagar rule, the Harati
chiefs established themselves at Nidugal and held it until it was cap-
tured in 1761 by Haidar Ali, who made them tributary. Tipu Sultan
later seized their possessions, and put an end to the line.
Nighasan.--North-eastern tahsil of Kheri District, United Provinces,
comprising theparganas of Palia, Khairigarh, Nighasan, Dhaurahra, and
Firozabad, and lying between 27° 41' and 28° 42' N. and 8o° r9' and
81° 19' E., with an area of 1,237 square miles. Population increased
from 279,376 in 1891 to 281,123 in r9o1. There are 386 villages and
two towns: DHAURAHRA (population, 5,669) and SINGAHI BHADAURA
(5,298), the former tahsil head-quarters. Nighasan, the present head-
quarters, has a population of only 1,240. The demand for land revenue
in 1903-4 was .Rs. 2,81,ooo, and for cesses Rs. 45,ooo. The density of
population, 227 persons per square mile, is the lowest in the District. The
tahsil contains 293 square miles of forest. It lies between the Sarda
or Chauka on the west, and the Kauriala on the east, and the whole
area is liable to be swept by heavy floods. Besides these large rivers,
the Mohan forms the northern boundary, and the Dahawar, a channel
of the Chauka, the southern. The Suheli or Sarju, another old bed of
the Chauka, crosses the northern portion. In 1903-4 the area under
cultivation was 439 square miles; there is practically no irrigation.
Nihtaur.-Town in the Dhampur tahsil of Bijnor District, United
Provinces, situated in 29 2o' N. and 78° 24' E., 16 miles east of Bijnor
town. Population (1901), 11,740. The town has a mean appearance,
most of the houses being built of mud, but there is a handsome old
mosque, to which three modern domes have been added. A few years
ago a seditious organization was discovered here. It was known as the
Bara Topi, or `twelve hats,' and resembled the Sicilian secret societies.
Nihtaur is administered under Act XX of 1856, with an income of
about Rs. 3,3oo. There is a little trade in dyeing, but the chief in-
dustry is sugar-refining. A middle school has 16o pupils, and two
aided schools are attended by 52 boys and 40 girls.
Nijgarh.-Town inDhenkanal State, Bengal. See DHENKANALTOWN.
Nijgarh.--'Town in Keonjhar State, Bengal. See KEONJHAR TOWN.