NII_GIRL STATE 85
Nilambfir.-Village in the Ernad tdluh of Malabar District, Madras,
situated in 11° 17' N. and 76° 14' E., on the road from Manjeri to the
Nilgiris by the Karkurghdt. Population (190x), 2,700. It is the head
quarters of the District Forest officer, South Malabar. The Nilambur
valley, which lies below the Camel's Hump range and the Kundahs and
is drained by the Beypore river, contains the chief Government forest
Reserves of South Malabar. They extend over more than 150 square
miles on the slopes of the Kundahs and along the head-waters of the
Karimpula river, and include 4,ooo acres of excellent teak plantations
started in 1843, the best logs of which fetch Rs. 2-8 per cubic foot in
the market. There are also small plantations of rubber and mahogany.
Gold-washing is still carried on to a very slight extent in the upper
Nilanga.-Tdluh in Bidar District, Hyderabad State, with an area
of 315 square miles. The population in 1901, including jdgirs, was
48,002. In 1891 the population was 59,148, the decrease being due
to the famine of 1899-19oo. The tdluh has 89 villages, of which
26 are jagir; and Nilanga (population, 3,343) is the head-quarters.
The land revenue in 1901 was 1•6 lakhs. In 1905 the tdluh received
a few villages from the Varval-Rajfira tdluh. Nilanga is composed
chiefly of regar or black cotton soil. South and east lie the three
paigdh tdluhs of Partabpur, Bhalki, and Ghorwadi (population, 42,761,
20,784, and 35,178), containing 63, 21, and 56 villages respectively.
BxaLKI (5, 788), the only town, is situated in the paigdh tdluh of the
Nileshwar.-Village in the south of the Kasaragod tdluh, South
Kanara District, Madras, situated in 12' 16,' N. and 75' 8' E. The
surrounding territory formerly belonged to a branch of the Chirakkal
family of Malabar. The local Rajas offered considerable resistance to
the Bednur kings in the eighteenth century, and were assisted alternately
by the French and the English. When the District finally fell to the
Company in 1799, the Raja accepted a pension, which is still continued.
The village is now of little importance.
N11giri State.-One of the Tributary States of Orissa, Bengal, lying
between 21° 17' and 2r° 37' N. and 86° 25' and 86° so' E., with an
area of 278 square miles. It is bounded on the north and west by the
State of Mayurbhanj, and on the east and south by Balasore District.
One-third of the area is taken up by hills, some of which contain
valuable timber. There is much land awaiting reclamation. Valuable
quarries of black stone are worked, from which cups, bowls, platters,
&c., are manufactured for export. Negotiations are in progress with
a European firm for working, the granite quarries in the State, and for
connecting them by a light railway with the Bengal-Nagpur Railway at
Balasore. The origin of the State is obscure. According to tradition