1VLMAR ZIL, 117
to a District council and three local boards, each having jurisdiction
over one tahsil. The income of the District council in 1903-4 was
Rs. 59,ooo. The expenditure on education was RS. 24,ooo and on
public works Rs. 17,ooo. KHANDWA and BURHANPUR are municipal
The District Superintendent of police has a force of 447 officers and
men, including a special reserve of 25, and 7 mounted constables,
besides 1,383 village watchmen for 924 inhabited towns and villages.
Khandwa contains a District jail, with accommodation for 122
prisoners, including 12 females. The daily average number of prisoners
in 1904 was 91.
In respect of education Nimar is the leading District of the Province,
nearly 6 per cent. of the population (11-2 males and o-3 females) being
able to read and write. The proportion of children under instruction
to those of school-going age is 12 per cent. Statistics of the number
of pupils are as follows : (1880-1) 3,971 ; (1890-1) 4,534; (1900-1)
4,828; and (1903-4) 5,599, including 227 girls. The educational
institutions comprise a high school at Khandwa, 3 English and 4
vernacular middle schools, and 95 primary schools. There are also
2 primary girls' schools. The expenditure on education in 1903-4
was Rs. 42,000, of which .Rs. 32,000 was derived from Provincial and
Local funds and Rs. 6,ooo from fees.
The District has 7 dispensaries, with accommodation for 98 in-
patients. In 1904 the number of cases treated was 50,262, of whom
461 were in-patients, and 1,791 operations were performed. The
expenditure was Rs. 20,000.
Vaccination is compulsory only in the municipal towns of Khandwa
and Burhanpur. The number of persons successfully vaccinated in
1903-4 was 44 per 1,ooo of the District population, a very favourable
[J. Forsyth, Settlement Report (1866) ; C. W. Montgomerie, Settlement
Report (1901). A District Gazetteer is being compiled.
Nirnar Zila.-District in the extreme south of Indore State, Central
India, lying between 210 22' and 22° 32' N. and 74° 2o' and 76° 17' E.,
partly north and partly south of the Narbada river, with an area of
3,871 square miles. The population decreased from 299,160 in 1891
to 257,1 10 In 1901, giving in the latter year a density of 66 persons
per square mile. The district contains three towns, KHARGON (popu-
lation, 7,624), the head-quarters, MAHESHWAR (7,042), and BARWAHA