NIMI3I4IIERA DISTRICT r r9
district, ravaging as far as Dharampuri in 1690, but the suzerainty of
the Peshwa was not firmly established over the tract till between 1740
and 1755. Under Maratha rule the district rapidly lost its prosperity,
suffering severely from the ravages of the MIN, whom the harsh
measures of the Maratha officials entirely failed to reduce to order.
Between 1764 and 1788 the country fell to Holkar, Sindhia, and the
Ponwar of Dhar, while from 18oo to 1818 it was overrun by the
destructive armies of the great Maratha chiefs and the Pindari bands.
By the agreement signed at Gwalior, in 1823, most of Nimar, which
then belonged to Sindhia, was placed under British management to
improve its condition. As late as 1855 the country was more than
half depopulated, and it was only subsequent to the disturbances of
1857 that it recovered part of its old prosperity. The superior control
rested with the Resident at Indore (after 1854 the Agent to the
Governor-General in Central India), the immediate charge being
entrusted to an officer whose head-quarters were at Mandleshwar. In
1861 the district was ceded in full sovereignty to the British Govern-
ment, and in 1864 was incorporated in the Central Provinces, but in
1867 was restored to Holkar in exchange for certain lands held by him
in the Deccan and elsewhere.
The district is in charge of a Subah; and for administrative purposes
is divided into eleven parganas, with head-quarters at Barwaha, Bhikan-
gaon, Chikalda, Kasrawad, Khargon, Lawani, Maheshwar, Mandleshwar,
Sanawad, Sendhwa, and Silu, each in charge of an amin. The total
revenue is 9•4 lakhs.
Nimawar.-Zila in Indore State, Central India. See NEMAWAR.
Nimbahera District.-A pargana of the State of Tonk, Rajputana,
lying between 24' 24' and z4° 49' N. and 74° 13' and 74° 54' E., with
an area of 383 square miles. It is irregular in shape, and consists of
thirteen separate groups of villages, between which are to be found
tracts belonging to Udaipur and Gwalior. Roughly speaking, the
district is bounded by Gwalior on the east and by Udaipur elsewhere.
The south-western part is high table-land; a broken range of hills runs
north and south through the centre, and the Chitor hills extend to the
north-eastern corner. The population in rgoi was 40,499, compared
with 65,013 in 18gi. There are x97 villages and one town, Nimbahera
(population, 5,446). The principal castes are Mahajans, Brahmans,
Charnars, and Jats, forming respectively about 9, 7, 6, and 5 per cent.
of the total. The district takes its name from its head-quarters, which
is said to have been founded by, and named after, a Paramara Rajput,
Nimji, about 1058. Up to the time of Rana Ari Singh it formed part
of Mewar. Ahalya Bai got possession about 1775, and on her death
it passed to Tukaji Holkar, who was succeeded by his son, Kashi Rao.
Jaswant Rao Holkar shortly afterwards seized it; and in i8o9 he