Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 19, p. 248.


Graphics file for this page
248 OR CHHfl TOWN
a battlemented wall and is approached by a causeway over a fine
bridge of fourteen arches, stands a huge palace-fort, mainly the work'
of Bir Singh Deo (1605-27), but consisting of several connected
buildings erected at different times, the finest of which are the Raj-
mandir and Jahangir-mahal. The Rajmandir is built in the shape of
a square with an almost entirely plain exterior, relieved by projecting
windows and a line of delicate domes along the summit. The Jahangir-
mahal, so called from the emperor Jahangir having stayed in it during
a visit to his friend Bir Singh Deo, is a much handsomer building.
Also built in rectangular form, it is relieved by a circular tower at each
corner surmounted by a dome,. while two lines of graceful balconies
supported on brackets mark the central storeys. These balconies are
closed in with fine screens of pierced stonework. Above, the roof is
crowned by eight large fluted domes with smaller domes between
them, connected by an ornamented balustrade. The whole building is
magnificent in its combination of massive strength and delicate orna-
ment, and is perhaps unsurpassed as a specimen of Hindu domestic
architecture. Many temples are scattered over the area formerly
occupied by the town, the finest being the Chaturbhuj, dedicated as its
name implies to the I four-armed' Vishnu. This temple stands on
a huge stone platform, and is a rectangular building with a very plain
exterior, ornamented by two large and four small spires, one of which
has been destroyed, of the pine-cone variety common in Bundelkhand.
Inside it is quite devoid of carving or ornament. The great loftiness
of its ceilings, an unusual feature in a Hindu temple, its bare walls,
and the arrangement of its sanctuary suggest a Christian church rather
tlhan a Hindu temple. Of the other buildings, the cenotaphs of Bharti
Chand (1531-54), Madhukar Sah (1554-92), Bir Singh Deo (1605-27),
Pahar Singh (1641-53), and Sanwant Singh (1752-65), all rulers of
Orchha, and their Ran-is are grouped together on the river's edge below
the fort. That of Bir Singh Deo, had it been completed, would have
been the finest; but the domes were never finished, and it remains
a mere rugged pile of stone, massive and picturesque, but with no
pretensions to architectural form. Not far from the Chaturbhuj temple
is the shrine of Hardaul, where that prince is said to have died of the
poison administered by his brother Jhujhar Singh. Orchha is still the
head-quarters of a tahsM
Orissa Division.-Division of Bengal, extending from West
Bengal to Madras and from the Chota Nagpur plateau to the Bay of
Bengal, and lying between Iq° 28' and 22° 4' N. and 82° 38' and
87° 3I' E. The head-quarters of the Division are at CUTTACK CITY;
and it includes five Districts, with area, population, and revenue as
shown in the table on the next page.
Sambalpur was transferred to Bengal from the Chattisgarh Division
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html