Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 19, p. 304.


Graphics file for this page
304
'PABNA DISTRICT
education was 1-75 lakhs, of which Rs. 14,000 was met from Provincial
funds, Rs. 32,000 from District funds, Rs. r,8oo from municipal funds,
and Rs. 1,04,000 from fees. The chief educational institutions, in-
cluding a technical school, are at Pabna town.
In 1903 the District contained 12 dispensaries, of which 3 had
accommodation for 50 in-patients. At these the cases of 65,000
out-patients and 742 in-patients were treated during the year, and
2,192 operations were performed. The expenditure was Rs. 20,000,
of which Rs. 5,000 was met from Government contributions, Rs. 4,000
from Local and Rs. 3,000 from municipal funds, and Rs. 7,000 from
subscriptions.
Vaccination is compulsory only in the municipalities of Pabna and
Sirajganj. During 1903-4 the number of persons successfully vacci-
nated was 46,ooo, or 33 per 1,ooo of the population. There has not
been much progress in recent years, but cases of small-pox are rare.
[Sir W. W. Hunter, Statistical Account of Bengal, vol. ix (1876).]
Pabna Subdivision.-Head-quarters subdivision of Pabna District,
Eastern Bengal and Assam, lying between 23 49' and 24 2r' N. and
89 1' and 89 45' E., with an area of 882 square miles. The popula-
tion in 1901 was 586,749, compared with 599,319 in 1891. The
subdivision is a tract of silted-up river-beds, obstructed drainage, and
marshy swamps, and the decline of the population is due to the con
sequent unhealthiness of the climate. It contains one town, PABNA
(population, 18,424), the head-quarters; and 1,658 villages. The density
of population, 665 persons per square mile, is considerably less than in
the adjoining subdivision of Sirajganj, where more favourable condi-
tions prevail. The chief centres of trade are Pabna town and SARA.
Pabna Town.-Head-quarters of Pabna District, Eastern Bengal
and Assam, situated in 24 1' N. and 89 16' E., on the Ichamati.
Population (19oi), 18,424. Pabna was constituted a municipality
in 1876. The income and expenditure during the decade ending
1901-2 averaged RS. 22,ooo and Rs. 19,5oo respectively. In 1903-4
the income was Rs. 31,000, of which Rs. 8,ooo was derived from a tax
on persons (or property tax), and Rs. 7,000 from conservancy rates;
and the expenditure was R.s. 30,ooo. The town was formerly liable
to floods, but is now protected by an embankment, a mile in length,
along the bank of the Ichamati. It contains the usual public buildings
a second-class jail has accommodation for 257 prisoners, the principal
jail industries being oil-pressing, brick-making, surki-pounding, and
carpet- and cloth-weaving. The chief educational institutions are the
high school managed by Government; the technical school at which
engineering, surveying, drawing, and practical carpentry are taught ;
and the Pabna Institution with the status of a second-grade college.
Pachaimalais (` Green hills').-A . hill-range on the borders of
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html