cantonment fund during the decade ending 1901 averaged Rs. 4,200,
and in 1903-4 were Rs. 14,ooo and Rs. r2,ooo respectively, the former
figure including a grant of Rs. 6,ooo from the Military Department.
No regular garrison is located at Pachmarhi, but a convalescent dep6t
is maintained for eight months in the year for the British regiment
stationed at Jubbulpore. Pachmarhi is also the site for a school of
musketry ; and three classes for the instruction of officers, each lasting
for two months, are held annually.
Pachora Taluka.-Taluka of East Khandesh District, Bombay,
including the petty subdivision or pethd of Bhadgaon, lying between
20° 28' and 20° 5o' N. and 74' 57' and 75° 36' E., with an area of
542 square miles. It contains three towns, PACHORA (population,
6,473), the head-quarters, NAGAR DFVLA (6,050), and BAADGAON
(7,956); and 186 villages. The population in r9or was 125,336, com
pared with 115,270 in 189x. The increase was due to immigration
from Ahmadnagar and other famine-stricken regions. The density,
231 persons per square mile,,is much above the District average. The
demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was 3-9 lakhs, and for cesses
RS. 26,ooo. Pachora consists of a fairly wooded valley, lying between
the Satmala range to the south and low ranges of hills in -the north.
The climate is healthy. The only perennial stream is the Girna.
Irrigation is carried on by means of the Jamda Canal. The annual
rainfall averages 30 inches.
Pachora Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluka of the same name
in East Khandesh District, Bombay, situated in 20° 4o' N. and
75° 22' E., 35 miles south-east of Dhulia, on the Great Indian Penin-
sula Railway. Population (igo1), 6,473. There is a flourishing trade
in cotton ; and the town contains 5 ginning factories, 4 cotton-presses,
a dispensary, and 3 schools with 257 pupils, of which one, with 38
pupils, is a girls' school. The American Alliance Mission has a
Padaung.-Township in the Shwedaung subdivision of Prome Dis-
trict, Lower Burma, lying to the west of the Irrawaddy, separating it
from the Arakan Yoma, between r8° 21' and 18' 57' N. and 94° 41'
and 95° 13' E., with an area of i,o19 square miles. The population
was 52,073 in 1891, and 51,712 in r9or, including about 6,ooo Chins,
practically all of whom reside in villages on the slopes of the Arakan
Yoma. There are 216 villages, the head-quarters being at Padaung
(population, 2,260), on the right or west bank of the Irrawaddy.
A good deal of cutch is manufactured, but only a small proportion
of the land is under cultivation, owing to its hilly nature. In 1903-4
the area cultivated was 75 square miles, paying Rs. 64,000 land
Padavedu.-Village in the Polur tdluk of North Arcot District,