Pakokku Subdivision.-Eastern subdivision of Pakokku District,
Upper Burma, comprising the PAKOKKU, YESAOYO, and MYAING
Pakokku Township.-Township of Pakokku District, Upper
Burma, lying between 20° 55' and 21° 28'N. and 94° 43' and 95° 1 i' E.,
along the right bank of the Irrawaddy, with an area of 386 square miles.
The population was 71,1o6 in 1891, and 68,344 in 19oi, distributed in
one town, PAKOKKU (population, 19,456), the head-quarters, and 223
villages. Along the river bank the country is flat; inland it is undu
lating. The rainfall is very meagre, but the population is fairly dense.
The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 124 square miles, and the land
revenue and thathameda amounted to Rs. 1,85,000.
Pakokku Town.-Head-quarters of the District of the same name
in Upper Burma, situated in 21° 2o' N. and 95° 5' E., on the right
bank of the Irrawaddy, a few miles below the point where the Chindwin
runs into that river. It is a long straggling town of no great width,
never extending more than three-quarters of a mile away from the
stream, and thickly dotted with tamarind-trees. It is built on an
alluvial bed, and there is a tradition that the river channel once ran
where the town now stands. The eastern boundary of the urban area
is a wide sandy nullah crossed by a bridge leading to a fine stretch of
country, considerably higher than the native town, on which stands the
civil station, with the courthouse, jail, and officers' residences. Two or
three miles to the west of the town, along the river, the country lies low;
and when the river is in flood the whole of this tract is inundated, the
subsiding floods leaving extensive jhils.
The history of the town dates from 1885, when the large sandbank
which had till then cut it off from the river disappeared. In 1885-6 it
was garrisoned by a company of native infantry in a stockade to the
north, supported by two civil police outposts; and this force was greatly
augmented during the disturbances of 1887, but was withdrawn when
the country became quiet. The population of Pakokku in 1889 was
estimated at from 5,000 to 8,ooo, but had increased to 19,972 in 189x,
dropping slightly to 19,456 in 19or. It is thus, after Mandalay, the
largest town in Upper Burma. The majority of the population are
Burmans, but there are nearly Boo natives of India.
Pakokku is the great boat-building centre of Upper Burma. Most
of the large cargo boats carrying rice to Lower Burma are built here.
Till recently old-fashioned Burman designs have been adhered to; a
new style of boat, called a tonhin, is now, however, being constructed
by the local builders, resembling the ordinary cargo boat, but decked
over and level keeled. It is used in the tidal creeks of Lower Burma.
The principal local industries are silk-weaving, wood-carving, sesamum-
oil pressing, and silver-work ; and jaggery sugar is made from the
VOL. XIX. Y