Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 19, p. 333.


Graphics file for this page
PJL, VILLAGE
333
by Shaikha; the Khokhar, in 1394, and in 1398 was visited by Timur,
who spared such of the inhabitants as had not fled, out of respect for
the shrine of the saint. It was the scene of two of Khizr Khan's
victories over generals of the Delhi court (1401 and 1405). The shrine
of Baba Farid attracts crowds of worshippers, its sanctity being acknow
ledged as far as Afghanistan and Central Asia. The principal festival
is at the Muharram.
The municipality was created in 1867. During the ten years ending
1902-3 the income averaged Rs. 7,2oo, and the expenditure Rs. 7,ooo.
The income in 1903-4 was Rs. 8,400, chiefly derived from octroi; and
the expenditure was Rs. 7,300. Pakpattan is a town of some com-
mercial importance, importing wheat, cotton, oilseeds,and pulses from the
surrounding villages, gur and refined sugar from Amritsar, Jullundur,
and the United Provinces, piece-goods from Amritsar, Delhi, and Karachi,
and fruits from Afghanistan. The exports consist principally of cotton,
wheat, and oilseeds. The town has a local manufacture of silk lungis
and lacquer-work. It contains a vernacular middle school and a dis
pensary. From 1849 to 1852 it was the head-quarters of the District.
Pal State.-Petty State in KATHIAWAR, Bombay.
Pal Village (originally called Rajapur).-Village in the Karad
Idluka of Satara District, Bombay, lying on both banks of the Tarli
in 17 29' :N. and 74 2' E., about 20 miles north-west of Karad town.
Population (1901), 3,157. It is chiefly remarkable for a temple of
Khandoba, where a fair attended by about 50,000 people of all classes
is held every year. The temple, which was built in the fifteenth
century, stands on the site of a legendary appearance by the god
Khandoba to a favourite devotee, a milkmaid named Palai, in whose
honour the village name was changed from Rajapur to Pal. The
number of prominent historical families in the Deccan who have be-
stowed gifts on this temple shows the great veneration in which it is
held. Every pilgrim entering the temple at the fair time has to -pay a
toll of 1 anna. The priests are Guravs and Brahmans, and connected
with the temple are many Murlis or female devotees. The great fair
is held in the month of Paush or December-January. The pilgrims
usually camp in the bed of the Tarli, which at this time forms a large
dry beach. The fair proper lasts three or four days, being the days
during which the marriage ceremony of the god Khandoba is supposed
to take place. Under Maratha rule Pal was a market town of some
note on the main road from Satara to Karad. Pal village and temple
are closely connected with a celebrated exploit of Chitursing in
February, 1:799, in revenge for the defeat of his brother Sahu II., the
Satara Raja. After worshipping at the temple with his small force of
6oo infantry, he attacked Rastia, who was encamped near Satara with
a body of 2,000 or 3,ooo men, and dispersed them.
Y 2
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html