tea industry east of the Irrawaddy is in their hands. The Palaung
language belongs to the Mon-Anam sub-family; it is isolating, atonic,
and full of gutturals, and is closely allied to the vernaculars of the Was
of trans-Salween territory, the Riangs of the Southern Shan States, and
the Hkamuks of Siam. There are various, dialects, but no great
divergence of speech.
[C. C. Lowis, A Note on the Palaungs (Rangoon, igo6).]
Paiaveram.=Town in Chingleput District, Madras. See PALLA-
Palaw. --Northernmost township of Mergui District, Lower Burma,
bordering on Tavoy District. It lies on the mainland between
12° 2o' and 13° 28' N. and 98° 33'.and 99° E., and includes the
inhabited islands of Mali , (known generally as Tavoy Island) and
Cabosa, as far out as 97° 53' E. Its total area is 785 square miles,
hilly throughout, and forest-clad. The population was 19,447 in
1891, and 22,442 in igor, about a third speaking Karen and the
rest a dialect of Burmese differing from that in use at Mergui, and
unintelligible to an ordinary Burman. There are 115 villages and
hamlets. The head-quarters are at Palaw, a village of about 2,000
inhabitants (1901), and a port of call for a fortnightly coasting
steamer from Moulmein, exporting rice, fish-paste, salt, and jaggery.
The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 37 square miles, mostly under
rice, yielding Rs. 39,100 land revenue.
Paldeo.--One of the CHAUBE JACYRS in Central India, under the
Political Agent in Baghelkhand, with an area of about 28 square miles.
Paldeo was granted to Daryau Singh, the head of the Kalinjar
Chaube family, in 1812. The present holder is Chaube Jagat Rai,
who received the title of Rao Bahadur as a personal distinction in
1903. Population (19oi), 8,598. The jdgir comprises 18 villages,
and has a revenue of Rs. 26,ooo, part of which is derived from the
sale of diamonds, obtained at two villages in the estate. The chief
place is Naigaon or Naugaon, situated in 25° 11' N. and 80° 49' E.,
24 miles south of Kalinjar. Population (1go1), 826.
Pale.-South-western township of the Lower Chindwin District,
Upper Burma, lying between 21° 48' and 22" 1o' N. and 94° 25'
and 94° 55' E., with an area of 458 square miles. The population
was 25,608 in 1891, and 31,241 in 1go1, distributed in 252 villages.
The head-quarters are at Pale (population, 1,113), close to the
eastern border. The country is level in the east, becoming hilly as
the Pondaung range is approached, and is well watered. The area
cultivated in 1903-4 was 55 square miles, and the land revenue and
thathameda amounted to Rs. 76,300.
Palej.-Petty State in MAH! KANTHA, Bombay.
Paletwa. -Head-quarters of the Northern Arakan District, Lower