Burma, situated in 21° 18' N. and 92° 51' E., on the west bank of
the Kaladan river. Paletwa is an insignificant village with a popu-
lation (1901) of 481, perched on a high bank well above the stream,
in a narrow gorge. The civil station consists of an office for the
Deputy-Commissioner, a police station, a hospital, lines for the military
police, and a few residences for the officers stationed at head-quarters.
It is traversed by metalled pathways connecting the various eminences
on the hill-side on which the houses and offices are built. There is
a small wharf on the river bank below the village, alongside of which
the Arakan Flotilla Company's steam-launches moor. On the bank are
several fine groves of teak, the remains of an early plantation.
Palghat Subdivision.-Subdivision of Malabar District, Madras,
consisting of the PALGHAT and PONNACV1 tdlukS.
Palghat Taluk.-Southernmost tdluk of Malabar District, Madras,
lying between 10° 25' and 10° 57' N. and 76° 25' and 76° 51' E., with
an area of 643 square miles. It contains 113 amsams, or parishes.
The population increased from 372,133 in 1891 to 390,098 in 1901.
The land revenue demand in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 4,94,ooo. The
only place of importance besides PALGH.~T (population, 44,177), the
head-quarters, is the village of KOLLANGOD. The tdluk lies in the
remarkable break in the Western Ghats which is known as the Palghat
Gap; on the north it is bounded by spurs which run up to the Nilgiri
plateau, while on the south it is faced by the great Anaimalai Hills.
The forests which lie at the foot of these two masses of hill are some
of the densest in the Presidency.
Palghat Town (Pdlkddu, `jungle of pdl trees').--Head-quarters
of the subdivision and tdluk of the same name in Malabar District,
Madras, situated in 10° 46' N. and 76° 39' E., 335 miles by rail from
It lies on the main road from Malabar to Coimbatore and the
east coast, in the curious gap in the Western Ghats to which it gives
its name; and its position as key to the West Coast has always made
it a place of importance both strategically and commercially. The
Palghat fort is said to have existed from very ancient times, but little
is known of the early history -of the place. The Palghat Achchan
was originally a tributary of the Zamorin, but he had become indepen-
dent before the beginning of the eighteenth century. In 1757 he
sent a deputation to Haidar Ali praying for help against an invasion
threatened by the Zamorin. Haidar seized the opportunity of gaining
such an important position as Palghat, and from that time to 1790 the
fort was continually in the hands of the Mysore Sultans or the British.
It was first taken by the latter in 1768, when Colonel Wood captured it
during his raid on Haidar Alf's fortresses, but it was retaken by Haidar
a few months later. It was again captured by Colonel Fullarton in