360 P21T,ITfl NA STATI'
bay, lying between 21° 23' and 21° 42' N. and 71° 3r' and 72° I:.,
with an area of 289 square miles. It is bounded on the south
by Baroda territory, and on the north, east, and west by Bhaunagar
territory, The Shetrunji river, with its tributaries the Rajaval and
Khari, passes through the State. The climate is hot, and fever is
prevalent. The annual rainfall averages about 25 inches.
The family of the chief is descended from Shahj3, second son of
Sejakji, the chief of Bhaunagar being descended from the eldest son,
and the chief of Lathi from the third. The ruler executed the usual
engagements in 1807.
The family was for many years engaged in a dispute with the Jains
concerning the control of Shetrunja hill (see PALITANA TowN). This
hill, which rises above the town of Palitana, is covered with Jain
temples, and is the resort of innumerable pilgrims. Inquiry seems to
show that, many years before the Gohel chiefs established themselves
in Surashtra, the Jains worshipped in Shetrunja. They produce an
imposing array of deeds from the Mughal emperors and viceroys,
ending with one from prince Murad Baksh (1650), which confers the
whole district of Palitana on Santidas the jeweller and his heirs. The
firm of Santidas supplied Murad Baksh with money for war when he
went with Aurangzeb (1658) to fight Dare at Agra and assume the
throne. On the decay of the Mughal power jurisdiction over Palitana
fell into the hands of the Gohel chief, a tributary of the Gaikwar.
While, therefore, the whole mountain is regarded as a religious trust,
it is under the jurisdiction of the chief, for whose protection the
Shrawaks have long paid a yearly subsidy. Under a decision of Major
Keatinge's in 1863, the representatives of the Jain community had
to pay a lump sum of Rs. ro,ooo per annum for ten years to the chief,
in lieu of his levying a direct tax of Rs. 2 a head on all pilgrims
visiting the shrines, with the proviso that a scrutiny lasting two years,
or longer if necessary, might be demanded by either side at the
termination of that period, with a view to ascertain whether the yearly
sum of Rs, ro,ooo was more or less than the right amount. The chief
demanded such a scrutiny in 1879, and, due arrangements having been
made, the count of pilgrims commenced on April 23, r88o. The
claims of the chief were settled for forty years by an annual payment
of Rs. 15,000, commencing from. 1886. A decision of the British
Government, given in March, 1877, while it upholds the chief's legiti-
mate authority, secures to the sect its established possessions, and
maintains the sacred isolation of the hill.
The chief is a Hindu of the Gohel clan of Rajputs, and is entitled
to a salute of 9 guns. The family hold a sanad authorizing adop-
tion ; in matters of succession the rule of primogeniture is followed.
Since the death of the last Thakur Sahib in r905, the State has