PANDHJJe'PUJe 7AL UKJ 389
Educational department, 96 by local boards, and 12 by municipalities,
while three are unaided. These institutions include a high and
middle school and 111 primary schools. The total expenditure on
education in 1903-4 was Rs. 48,ooo, of which Rs. 5,000 was derived
from fees. Of the total, 83 per cent. was devoted to primary schools.
In 1904 the District possessed i hospital and 5 dispensaries. The
Dohad civil hospital, established in 1870, was transferred to Godhra
many years ago. These institutions contain accommodation for
69 in-patients. The total treated in 1904 numbered 36,ooo, in
cluding 702 in-patients. The expenditure was Rs. 1o,ooo, of which
RS. 2,8oo was met from Local and Rs. 500 from municipal funds.
The number of persons successfully vaccinated in 1903-4 was
8,522, representing a proportion of 33 per 1,ooo, which is much
above the average for the Presidency.
[Sir J. M. Campbell, Bombay Gazetteer, vol. iii (Kaira and Paneh
Pandare. --Village in the Bhimthadi taluka of Poona District,
Bombay, situated in 18° 8' N. and 74° 31' E. Population (1901),
5254. The Nira Canal runs through the village, which is noted both
for its sugar-cane industry, employing 2,000 labourers and yielding
annually about 5 lakhs, and also for its stone, which is especially
adapted for engraving. It contains one school with 8o boys.
Pandavgarh (or Pandu Fort).-Fort in the Wai taluka of Satara
District, Bombay, situated in 18° N. and 73° 45' E., 4,177 feet above
sea-level, 4 miles north-west of Wai. The fort is said to have been
built by the Kolhapur Silahara chief, Bhoj II (1178-93) of Panhala.
About 1648 it is mentioned as being in the charge of a Bijapur
Mokdsddr stationed at Wai. In 1673 it was taken by Sivaji. In .1701
Pandavgarh surrendered with Chandan Vandan to Aurangzeb's officers.
In 1713 Balaji Viswanath, afterwards the first Peshwa, though closely
pursued by Chandrasen Jadhav, the Maratha general or Seudpati,
managed to reach Pandavgarh. He was besieged here for a time
by Chandrasen Jadhav's troops, who were withdrawn when Raja Sahu
ordered an advance on Satara. During Trimbakji Denglia's insur-
rection in 1817, Pandavgarh was taken by the insurgents. It sur-
rendered in April, 1818, to a detachment of the 9th Native Infantry
Regiment under Major Thatcher. There are a few rock-cut caves at
Pandavgarh, situated on a small south-east projection of the fort within
the limits of Dhavdi village.
Pandharpur Taluka.-7Wuka of Sholapur District, Bombay,
lying between 17° 29' and 17° 56' N. and 75° 6' and 75° 31' E., with an
area of 478 square miles. There are two towns, PANDHARPUR (popu-
lation, 32,405), the head-quarters, and KARKAMB (5,571); and 83 villages.
The population in 1901 was 9x,928, compared with 91,261 in 1891.